Losing Account to Forecloser?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Lawn-Sharks, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Lawn-Sharks

Lawn-Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

I was talking with anouther LCO in the neighbor i was mowing in and was talking about how many account we have lost to forecloser and he said he doesn't know the numbers off the top of his head but it was quite a few. I stated to him i had lost a few myself about 4 accounts so far but ive talk to my customers and they have friends that are losing their @sses and forecloser is in the future for them as well. it sucks but how many of your are having the same issues

2. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

I lost 2 last year! Right at Christmas time.

A friend of mine lost several as well. It is all over the place here in FL. It is tough times ahead for a little while but if we can just hang on, all these places will be lived in and need someone to renovate and maintain them.

A year maybe 2 and we will be looking good again.

3. Atlantic Lawn

Atlantic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Outer Banks NC

Had one call today asking us not to start till May....Yea Right

4. DaveinSWFL

DaveinSWFL LawnSite Member

Same here! Foreclosure and layoffs. Sarasota County just laid off 40 employees today. I have talked to several business owners (resturants & retail) all are feeling the pinch. I have only lost 1 account so far due to lay off.

5. cpel2004

cpel2004 LawnSite Bronze Member

Unfortunately, that wont be the last one.

6. herberg

herberg LawnSite Member

foreclosures can be a new avenue for customers.

the money isn't as good - but talk with your loan officer at your bank. ask what they are doing with the foreclosed homes they have on their books.

my local bank signed over a few of them to me. it's bi-weekly, but charge accordingly.

did this same thing over the winter with snow removal. no one there to watch you, no one to critique - and the bank has always paid.

lemons into lemonade:weightlifter:

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

<sarcasm>Wow, more good news... </sarcasm>

That's all I've been reading lately, and that it's going to get worse before it gets better...
    Fact the price of oil went down by 60 cents a barrel made the headlines, and that's the good news.

Looks like I'm going to be doing lots and lots of butt kissing, brown nosing, bending over backwards, lowballing, not minding the bs so much and generally being more appreciative of what I do have. Not sure I'm quite ready to go compete with illegal immigrants just yet, but almost!

Because I thought I had it bad, but it is nothing.

8. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

ohio is in really bad shape as im sure you have heard on the news... second only to detroit area in forclosures......

i think the companies that are a little more established are going to be ok in the long run... time to tighten the belts and purse strings .....

9. BPC

BPC LawnSite Member

Another irrigation contractor and I were talking about this the other day and he brought up a good point. His advice was to try and get in with mortgage companies and lenders. They will need someone to take care of the property while they are trying to sell it. It is easier for them to sell a home that is well maintained than one that looks like crap. So they are bringing on companies to make and keep these yards or properties looking good.

10. herberg

herberg LawnSite Member

you will get paid, but prepare for 90- 120 days.

i just did a mass mailing to a bunch of realtors - spring cleanup stuff - managed to fill every open spot i had.

different times call for different tactics and outside the box thinking