1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Losing accounts and I need to vent

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mikewhit1010, Jun 4, 2008.

1. mikewhit1010

mikewhit1010 LawnSite Senior Member

Well I never thought I would need to start one of these threads.

It has happened. I have transformed a very blue collar neighborhood into one that relies on me as their lawn company. Well now gas is high and budgets are tight it is starting to reflect. It is not so much that they are dropping me but it is how they are dropping me.

Most of the time I send the crew out and they show up and the lawn is cut. Either they cut it or got someone to cut if for $5 or some BS like that. Anyway my crew will ask them what happened and they said oh we where to scared to call and let you know. WTF that cost me money. This is how about 7 accounts have dropped me.

I then lost my biggest account with a property manager. 15 accounts gone to his brother because his brother bought some HD lawn mowers and is 36 and needs a job. He just moved her from Minnesota and saw a bunch of lawn company trucks and figured shoot I should do this since Im broke. I bet I get this account back. He looks like casper or at least that is how white he is.

Oh well. I guess I have picked up new customers too but rrrrrr it is so frustrating.
  2. markahurley

markahurley LawnSite Senior Member

there's something about not even telling you that just makes it that much worse. so you waste the time and money driving to the account only to find it done, and you've been replaced. that ticks me right off.

i guess people don't really think what it's like. it would be the same thing as somebody having a desk job in some office. they walk in one morning, and there's somebody sitting at their desk doing their job. then they just say, oh, by the way--you've been replaced. that would never fly at the business, so why do they think it flies here? no idea, but that has to be one of the most frustrating things.
  3. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

same here, It happens...

however there is some good news. Most of the time they will come crawling back,
    this is when the price goes up...

it happens every year.