Losing blade tip, not blade tip speed

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LwnmwrMan22, Jun 2, 2004.

1. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

K, I'm too tired to do a search, and I'm sure this has been talked about before, but here goes.

Once you round off the corner of your blade, is that blade shot?

Or if I get a decent grinder / balancer, can I take enough off to get back to where I've got a corner again?

Thanks guys, appreciate it.

2. kels

kels LawnSite Senior Member

it's shot, this is a pointless reply

3. Lodi Lawn

Lodi Lawn LawnSite Member

I find that if my center blade has at least one sharp corner I can use blades that are rounded off on the outer 2 and get good cuts with no stringers. The outer 2 blades over-lap the center one on the deck so that the rounded corners would only not cut on the outside of each cutting strip and when mowing you always over-lap the last strip at least a little so you cut any stringers from the rounded corners. 3 Exmark EFI Lazers 60", Grasshopper 60" and Toro Proline 44". I do change blades everyday and sharpen to a razor edge. I only scrap blades that are bent or that are to thin to sharpen anymore. Am going to try and straighten some bent blades with a hydraulic press I am fixing up.

4. lawnworker

lawnworker LawnSite Senior Member

It depends. Some blades get wider as they wear and are resharpened. Some get narrower. Look at the right angle coming off of the cutting edge to see what is going on.