losing customers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnworker, Aug 21, 2001.

1. lawnworker

lawnworker LawnSite Senior Member

This year I have lost 4 long time residentials customers and when you 15 tops for the start of the year it can really hurt.I think i charge just a little to much for my market or my news adds bring in the wrong type of lawns .I have never been able to break out of 15 tops for custermers. I always think the ads are to much $$$ to keep in for along time in the spring ,which i know is not really good thinking, becouse the more you can pick up the more you make.It seems in the spring I get frusterated by all the price shopers that i also use this as a reason to pull the add before i weed thrugh and pick up enuff to really make a go at this.At this piont i am down to a low of 8 regulers need some advice should look for a parttime job to fill in and prepare for winter aand really hit the advertising hard next year or try to expand more this remaining season.I really need at least 30 to make this bussiness work good for me.I must be doing something wrong

2. wallzwallz

wallzwallz LawnSite Senior Member

lawnworker sorry to hear things are lean right now.Does your area have a lot of work available?Did your 4 longtime customers give a reason for letting you go? In the spring do you bid a lot of lawns but only get a small percent of them ? sorry for so many Questions just trying to get some variables to better understand your sititution. Mike Wall
  3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

How long you have been in business?

If you are getting customers and then losing them I don't think it's a price issue.

You might want to take a look at your quality control, customer relations, reliability, appearence and attitude.
  4. roscioli

roscioli LawnSite Senior Member

Not to be an ******, I am just in that kind of mood right now. My advice- go back to school, learn how to express yourself in sentences that make sense, then come back here and ask again. Or, answer Mike Wall's questions, and we can give you more advice.
  5. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

do you have the know how to do top work. that alone should
    get you 5-6 new accts a season . mabe more.
    are you in a depressed economy area . if the people dont have the money,well.
    and i guess last ,are you using good fast equipment.
    the 15 number hints to me that you may not be.
    also this assumes you have some people skills.
    good luckTM
  6. lawnworker

I think i close a 10%-20% of the estimates that i go on .One lady i lost I done for 10 years,she is very old and her son is wanting to help her out.Another customer Moved away,two others were sorry to lose me but are helping a family member out.

roscolia I dont care what you think of my grammer I am not a english majer.
  7. wallzwallz

wallzwallz LawnSite Senior Member

sounds like,from the little bit i'm hearing it may be economical tuff times down there lawnworker,if this is the case maybe relocate. 15 lawns after how many years? is any landscapers doing good there? Hang in there Mike Wall
  8. lawnworker

I know some personally that have arond 80 lawns there prices are lower then mine.If i was to charge 40.00 per cut they would charge 35.00.
  9. Lawn DOG

Lawn DOG LawnSite Senior Member

What area in VA are you located in?
  10. peewee

peewee LawnSite Member

I think you should consider dropping your price a bit to be competitive. If you price is in line and your work is good you will do fine. Maybe you should make your work better anyway, do something special or unexpected for your customers free of charge and they will remember stuff like that, maybe even refer you to friends.
    And roscioli you are being an ******, petty insults like this just show your weakness.
    Pick it up lawnworker, you can do it.