1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Losing money already

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Sunstate Lawn, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Sunstate Lawn

Sunstate Lawn LawnSite Member

This is my first thread on lawnsite, but I've enjoyed reading your posts for about 2 months. I have two employees, and I'm trying do mostly communities and commercial properties. My company is brand new, but I do know a little about running a business. Any way I misunderstood what could and could not be dumped at my local landfill and I ended up paying twice as much. Live and learn.:rolleyes:.

2. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

If this is your only surprise, you may be well on your way to success.
  3. lawnmagicinc

lawnmagicinc LawnSite Member
    from jax fl

i agree with you roger
  4. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

This was always an issure for me too...

Wait untill your bill reaches 2 to 3 thousand a month and you catch people throwing trash and such on your trailer while you at a clean up job...

I guess I'll never forget that lady....I simply couldn't make her understand that I have to pay to dump, so should she....
  5. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

around here you can't dump any form of lawn waste be it leaves, grass, branches or anything else at our landfill, they won't take anything.

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

2G's a month .....man what are the rates to dump in Texas ???
  7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I know this isn't as easy as it sounds, but you just have to charge accordingly.

See I went through this school...
    For several years I would go out of my way to find cheaper places to dump, and for some time I used to pride myself on how good I was at it, but after time I found it's just always that same thing...
    Works great for however long but sooner or later I'm out of a place to dump again!

That in itself I might've been all right with, but what eventually got to me was the constant cheapness which was ultimately responsible for me having to look around in the first place, that was the straw that broke the camel's back. So one day I just got tired of it, I wasn't getting paid for all the extra rigmarole and really the only side that was benefiting was the customer in ways of lower hauling fees.

Now I just go to Shoosmith Landfill, they have regular business hours, are well known and they accept credit cards.
    It may sound funny to call a landfill professional, but these guys even spray the dirt roads down with water during the day so our trucks don't get dusty I am not kidding.
    It costs $40 a load on my 6x12x2, so I charge $200 for hauling, per load (it does get a little cheaper per multi-trailer loads but)...
    The worst part is the smell on days the wind is just wrong.
    But other than that it was the best thing I ever did, one size fits all solution.

It hurt at first but it eliminated all of the Sandford & Son type requests, now I'm better off.
  8. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

It sounds like you figured out how to control your expenses and your business while making money at the same time ... that's what I call entrepreneurship !!
  9. Kickin Your Grass

Kickin Your Grass LawnSite Senior Member

I pay $10.85 for the first 550lbs and $0.30 each pound after.
  10. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

Lawnpro -- What do you do with the debris ?? Where do you put it ??