Losing monthly maintenance to mulch?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by alpine692003, Jul 8, 2004.

1. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

I think I made a costly mistake to one of my customers, well not that costly..

Currently I charge this DR a monthly maintenance for her property which is weeding her beds monthly for $60 a shot..

It takes me like only under 30mins to do service it!

I suggested to her a bark mulch installation on her property with landscape fabric.. I know this will be like under $250 to do the whole thing!

So if I do the bark mulch, I'll lose out on a monthly maint customer!

I guess you can re-apply bark mulch every so often because it decomposes??!?!

:confused: :confused:
  2. studentlawn

studentlawn LawnSite Member

I think in the long run your better off by installing the mulch. Whenever you are able to use your expertise to advise something thats money and effort saving to a customer, id do it, and use the 30 mins you spend at her place on the refferals she gets you.
  3. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

The only problem is with the bark mulch. It will never pack together and and leaves or bush trimmings will have to be picked out of it. It needs to be mulched with a shreaded mulch so it will pack in and you can blow debris out easily.
  4. brian mon

brian mon LawnSite Member

Another problem is using fabric, the bark will wash or float out of the beds or with a good wind will blow out. The fabric is to slick, if mulch is installed at the right thickness 3'' to 4'' no fabric should be needed. And shreaded wood is much better.
  5. all degree

all degree LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry it really bothers me when people do this. Mulch will naturally keep out weeds w/o fabric and if you use fabric you lose the addded benefit of moisture retention
  6. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

oh... really? Just put mulch down that is like 3-4" thickness?

without fabric? I never knew that, I see a lot of people using the fabric cut around the shrubs then put mulch down 3-4" thick!