Losing My Business Phone Number!

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Chris J, Mar 27, 2008.

1. Chris J

Chris J LawnSite Silver Member

I've got a dilemma. When I move, the phone company (AT&T) is telling me that I can't keep my same phone numbers. Although I'm moving within the same city, it is a different zip code. The only choice they are offering me is to buy my current business number as a voice mail only line.
    I dread the thought of having to redo business cards, contracts, website, and all other print materials. Not to mention all the current advertising that is floating around that will potentially turn into new customers.
    Anybody got any advice? I really don't want to have to change my phone number, but it looks like this is going to be my only choice.

2. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

You can prolly keep the number for about 30 a month and do call forwarding even tho the old number will not physically exist at a location. My friends when they closed thier nursery wanted to keep the number for the landscape business so they pay per month for the number and its automatically forwarded to his new phone.

3. ncls

ncls LawnSite Senior Member

Switch to Vonage. VOIP. You can take the number anywhere.

4. Desertdweller

Desertdweller LawnSite Member

We have 4 different numbers in multiple zips and just have them forwarded to one line. It shouldn't be a problem.

5. M&MLawn

M&MLawn LawnSite Member

I second the vonage line. You can then keep your same number and not have to worry about this again.

6. herberg

herberg LawnSite Member

if you can - transfer it to a cellphone. This way you'll be the fastest one back to return calls, and will always have the option of answering your business line no matter where you are.

many carriers also have either unlimited minutes or unlimited incoming minutes.

plus - it's a deduction.

and think - you could get a smart phone so you'd be able to keep up to the minute with all the new posts on lawnsite....:cool2:

7. Chris J

Chris J LawnSite Silver Member

I'll check into Vonage, but unless I misunderstood them they said I couldn't even have the number forwarded because of the different zones and such. They mentioned something about "exchanges" which is the first three numbers of the phone number. I remembered I had a customer who's a big boy at AT&T so I gave him a call. He's looking into it and gonna let me know tomorrow what the ins and outs are.

8. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

Just keep it and either go straight to voice mail or have it remote call forwarded to another number.

9. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

forward the number to a live answering service in your area. It'll cost you around 100 bucks a month, or maybe more if you have heavy volume. It is like having a secretary, and they can text you the message on your cell.

I'm not in florida, but My old lawncare company number has flipped around 2 or 3 zip codes and they let them keep it.

10. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

Ours approach 2k a month during peak times. I could not image my stress level though if we didn't use them.

I am a fan of answering services, but it took us a few different companies before we found a good one.