Losing new lawn

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by fishbone, Jul 17, 2005.

1. fishbone

fishbone LawnSite Member

I got back from Iraq this spring and our lawn had been taken over by weeds. We decided the best thing to do was start again. Completely killed off the existing grasses, weeds, etc. Put in a sprinkler system, tilled, fertilized, and seeded, a hybrid bermuda (Yukon). The bermuda seedlings are coming in, however the amount of crabgrass that is coming in with them is equal to or greater than the bermuda that is coming in. The new lawn, mostly crabgrass has not been cut yet, is there anything that can be done to kill off the crabgrass without harming the bermuda. Physically pulling the crabgrass would take a small army and several full days and not an option I care to undertake.

2. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

go to lesco.

3. First, thank you for your service. Every freedom loving person owes you a debt of gratitude.

Second, are you sure your weed is crabgrass? You didn't provide your level of experience in turf stuff, and crabgrass is one of the easier weeds to misidentify.

If your weed is crabgrass, then the only weed control product that I am aware of and meets your criteria is Drive 75.

http://www.lesco.com/Label.aspx?label=063899.pdf

Drive is a commercial product, and it will control crabgrass well, and you can spray over seeds without killing most of them.

Read the whole label. It states that hybrid Bermuda is mostly tolerant, so that sounds like your answer.

Drive is sold at Lesco, I don't know if there are any in Texas. You can find them at their website.

www.lesco.com

If you can't purchase this yourself or they try to sell you a whole can (expensive), you can call around your local lawn care outfits and see if they offer treatments of Drive.

Good Luck.

4. jbintexas

jbintexas LawnSite Member

Hey, fishbone,
    Having been in golf course management for the first 40+ years of my life, keeping Bermuda weed free was a constant task. Most golf course supers use MSMA to kill grassy weeds, and 2,4D for broadleaf control in Bermuda. Applied per recommendations, Bermuda may go a little off color temporarily, but will recover quickly, and the weeds will be killed. However, you probably want to wait until your new seedlings have begun to run and mature a bit before you do this. I would recommend calling a local superintendant, most of them are happy to give advice. Or your county ag extension agent.
    Good luck, and a snappy salute!

5. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

Here is the short answer to your question:

Drive 75 will remove your crabgrass without harming the new Bermuda. This is indicated on the product label, and I have also used it under the same scenario as you.

Stay away from MSMA since it is more harsh on turf, especially new turf.