Losing out to a "National Contractor"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by anythinglawns, Feb 21, 2002.

1. anythinglawns

anythinglawns LawnSite Member

After being activated in the reserves due to the Sept. 11th attacks. I return home a couple of weeks ago just in time to get the 2002 season underway. In the piles of mail I have when I get home along with cards and letters from many of my customers is a letter from one of the banks I provide service for. In the letter they state that they have hired a "National Contractor" to provide lawn care service for them and they would no longer be needing my services. I went to the bank to ask why I had been dropped. The bank president (who is also a residential customer" tells me that my service was great and my workers did a great job in my absence, but the decision to hire the "National Contractor" came from the corparate level and he could do nothing. The next day I get a letter from the "national contractor" with a rule book about 1/4" thick. Stating that they would like to sub contract me to do the job I was just released from. This "national contractor" who owns no equipment wanted me to do all I had been doing before, using my equipment,my employes,my time, my gas and all my other resources. There part would be to come around once every two weeks and ensure that I was doing the job I have been doing for years to everyone's satisfaction except now they where going to get a cut of my money for there "hard work". I simply called them and told them I was not interested in doing that. And from what I learned from other providers they are not either. Although I lost 3 banks (Main office and 2 branches), I feel I did the right thing. There is plenty of work about to not have to deal with something like that. To beat it all, as I said I had just returned from being activated in the reserves, and at the main office of the bank are about 20 U.S. flags flying and a sign in the window stating "We Support Our Troops".

I guess I am just curious if this is turning into a regular thing. And what everyone here thinks.

2. PAPS

PAPS LawnSite Senior Member

Feel bad for you man... you go away and help out the country only to return to that B.S... sorry dude... but you'll rebound and be fine...;)
  3. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

Who were they? My second thought: Take job, put paper over name on truck. Spend exactly the amount of time on job you are paid for, leave. Customer ever complains, explain that the middleman can only expect to get what they pay for and your hands are tied. Sounds like a TGCL affiliate.
  4. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

Get a picture of the sign and flags and mail it with a letter to the corporate hq. if the bank and the local tv news. A story like that would make good 6 o'clock coverage. There are still some people who appreciate our armed forces. Myself included. The pr would be good for business. If you get no responce from either party,at least you might feel better. Hey !it could happen. Our local news am has people fax or e-mail stuff on the air. Check it out.
  5. landman

landman LawnSite Member
    from NJ

It sounds like a situation I had. I was called for the landscape/snow contract for several McDonalds by a Co in Florida. Thats all they do is hire other LCO's and make the bucks. I was somewhat interested and looked into it, I figured money is money why not make it if you can. Then the circus started, they were giving me adresses where there were no stores, stored that existed had no landscaping, and the best one, the lady fought with me that there was a store on a particular street and it was a "freestanding location" I told her the only thing on the road is a huge shopping mall and that'swhere the Mc D's is, she insisted no its not, I told her Yes it was it's in the mall top floor outside of Fortunoff where Burgerking used to be. She still insisted it was seperate, I then told her to come to NJ Meet me there and show it to me, I have lived in this area for 29 years and been to that mall over 500 times in my life. So if they can't get there locations right how are they going to run a landscape divison here.
  6. was it the Union Planters Bank, and by any chance was the co. U. S. lawns,
  7. anythinglawns

anythinglawns LawnSite Member

You guessed it. How did you know?

JSMLAWNCARE LawnSite Member

Let me start off by saying... Thanks for defending our COUNTRY!! I agree with the above. Take a few pictures of the buiding with your truck infront of it. It might help to have your uniform on and send it to corporate.

Good Luck,

Jim M
  9. Tim Canavan

Tim Canavan LawnSite Member
    from Houston

Thanks for doing what you do to protect our country. Sure is funny how you come back and find your accounts are being taken over by a company called "U.S. Lawns". I say take down goliath. Do it for the small buisnesses everywhere. I would stop at nothing to either get it back or make sure they don't have it. That's B.S. :angry:
  10. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Companies that do this usually get into financial troubles at some point. They will find people in the short run to do the work, but the quality will never be as good. Eventually customers will become unhappy and move on. It just makes it harder in the short run.

Chemlawn has been doing this for sometime now. They are in financial difficulty now. Spent tons of money buying everything in sight and now having cash flow problems. Isn't life great. :D