Losing Power on Hills

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jhawk71, Feb 20, 2004.

1. jhawk71

jhawk71 LawnSite Member

First of I have a scag belt drive. Toward the end of the season I started to lose power when going up hills. I normally mow in 4th gear, but to make it up the hill I would have to go to 1st and push. I know its not the belts that are slipping because the transmission and pulleys aren't moving. Any help would be appreciated.
    Jhawk71

2. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

sounds like the trans is bad to me

3. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

If the shafts coming out of the trans is not turning, it might be the belt that goes from the engine to the trans. I've had this belt lose tensing on my belt drive and act just like you described.

4. jhawk71

jhawk71 LawnSite Member

Thats what I thought but I took it into the dealer and they said its just the belts slipping. But I know it's not from using it. Also my dealer wanted to charge me $200 to change both belts. They wanted to charge me $54.99 per belt and plus labor. I can get the same belts form J-Thomas for $24.13. If the transmission is bad but my dealer doesn't think it is what should I do?
    Jhawk71

5. jhawk71

jhawk71 LawnSite Member

Paul J,
    We posted at the same time. How would I do I adjust the trans. belt.
    But for some reason i don't think that is the problem because when I start to loose the power as i described it kinda jerks. Like the gears in the transmission are messed up.
    Jhawk71

6. PLI1

PLI1 LawnSite Senior Member

I don't own a Scag, but on my machines there is an idler pulley that you can adjust to loosen or tighten simply by loosening a 9/16th bolt and sliding the idler one way or the other. Worst case scenario you'll need to loosen the engine mounting bolts and moving the engine forward or back. That isn't a huge deal either. Jack up the back of your machine and farmiliarize yourself with whats under there and you'll probably realize it's not as big of a deal as you thought. Make sure you get the right size belts to replace the old ones.

7. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

<i> Also my dealer wanted to charge me $200 to change both belts. </i>
    <p>OK,so your dealer actually wanted to make money.How does that differ from any other business?Either change them yourself or pay what the dealer asks.ASk yourself this question:How much do I make per hour?how long will it take me to change the belts?How much are the belts going to cost me?Now if you make $30 per hour and it takes you one hour to change the belts,then your out $30 + the costs of the belts.About $80 or so.The dealer has to pay for insurance,workmans comp,workers salary,his salary,SSI,building,building insurance,inventory,etc.,,and the company needs to make a profit.
    <p>Not trying to be a smartarse.I thought we,of all people wouldn't be griping about prices.After starting my own business,I'll never haggle prices again.

8. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

i replaced my tranny in my gravely this past season. it was about $200 from mow more. install was a snap.

However, i think you've got belt(s) slipping. the belts loosen up when warm/hot as the day goes on.

9. Zach76

Zach76 LawnSite Member

Thanks for posting jhawk, and thanks for the replies guys. I had the exact same problem with the same mower at the end of last season, and was just getting ready to take the mower to the dealer this weekend. Now I've got a few options that will hopefully save me some cash. I LOVE LAWNSITE.

10. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

does it only do it when you are going up hill or all the time