Losing Traction on a Toro Walk Behind

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Nuckie48, May 19, 2007.

1. Nuckie48

Nuckie48 LawnSite Member
    from So. Fla

Hello All....I'm new here and really love what you all have going on. I have been in the business for a little less then 1yr. I purchased a new Toro Walk Behing 36in T-Bar mower and is starting to loose traction and speed. I was wondering if anyone knows how to adjust the unit so I can get better traction like I started with. Thanx In Advance.

2. Firstchoicelawns

Firstchoicelawns LawnSite Member

I am in the same boat as you. I am about to take mine back to the dealer and have them adjust everything. It's really starting to get on my nerves.

3. Attorney-at-Lawn

Attorney-at-Lawn LawnSite Member

Assuming you have a belt-driven model, you will need to adjust the tension. This is easily done. On each side of the T-bar there are cotter pins holding the upper part of the threaded tension rod. Work on one side at a time. Release the cotter pin and pop the upper arm of the tension rod out. Then rotate counterclockwise about 4-5 revolutions - keep your count precise. Place rod back in and install cotter pin. Do exact same thing to other side. This will tighten the belt, but make sure you don't overtighten. You may have to do this every few weeks depending on how many hours of use you place on the machine. Also, you will likely have to make tension adjustments to your braking belts - see your owner's manual for the specifics of that. Good Luck!

4. Nuckie48

Nuckie48 LawnSite Member
    from So. Fla

Wow, it's very simple. The 2 longest bars on the out part of the "T" bar, that' on the same bracket as the traction belts on both sides. Take out the carter pins from the top and turn the "long bar" in the direction where it shows a little less threads at the end. Make sure that both sides are even. And there you go, you can pop wheels now if you want to. :laugh:

Thanx Again

5. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

check transmission belt tension

6. EngineeredLawns

EngineeredLawns LawnSite Member

Not trying to hyjack this thread but how do you correct it if it the T-bar pulls to one side when it is pushed in for full speed?