Loss of Power when blades engaged

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by myeager, Oct 15, 2005.

1. myeager

myeager LawnSite Member

I have an Exmark walk behind and all of a sudden it loses power when the blades are engaged. When the blades are not engaged, it moves long fine, but when the blades are engaged it moves along very slowly, and can't make it up any sort of hill.

This is a problem that came along all of a sudden. Prior to today I have not expereienced this.

2. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

A spindle or idler pully has seized up and needs to be replaced.

3. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Something may be causing the governor to malfunction. check for obstructions, if none, it will need to be replaced if this is the problem.

4. myeager

myeager LawnSite Member

One other observation that I noticed. The engine appears to surge at times, so that it'll bog down and crawl for a couple hundred feet then it'll pick up and move a lot faster for 100 feet or so, then back to crawling. It's just enough for me to start hoping everyhing is better but it doesn't last too long. I'm not sure if this changes your opinion of what could be wrong, but in case it's a clue to someone who knows more than I do I thought i'd pass it along.

I'll probably plan on having the dealer look at it, but it's a bit of a pain for me to do that because I don't have a trailer to haul the mower to the dealer (I'm not a LCO). I was hoping it'd be something obvious/easy that I could fix myself.

5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Ok, I was gonna sit this one out but just can't do it. LOL
    It sounds like you need to check or adjust the governor, Post the model AND spec. numbers off the engine and I'll see about posting the proper procedure. It's not that hard to do yourself.

6. myeager

myeager LawnSite Member

It's a Kawasaki 15.0, FH451V.

Thanks!

7. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

Check your oil level.

8. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

sounds like it could be a coil going out, when its acting up try pulling a plug wire and see if it runs the same. Mine did exactly what you describe a few months ago.

9. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Here ya go ! Any problems just post back.
    The FH451 thru FH721V adjust the same way.

10. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

You could have a dead cylinder. Do this: Crank engine................. remove one spark plug wire from plug (with insulated pliers). If nothing happens...replace and do other side. The engine will stop running when you pull the wire from the "good" side.

Plug or igniter. The most common cause of your problem.

If this don't do it....re-post.

oops...........didn't see promo's post.