loss of power

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ja2852, Jun 2, 2007.

1. ja2852

ja2852 LawnSite Member

I was using my echo straight shaft trimmer yesterday and it was working fine on one yard but when I got to the next yard it just lost power. It started fine and idled good but when you pull the trigger it just didnt rev up right. Also when I turn the engine upside down to edge with it it would almost die. Any help Please. Thanks

2. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

Try replacing the fuel filter and removing the spark arrester. Stick a plug in there too for good measure. Then you'll probably have to move to the carb.

3. Mark in MD

Mark in MD LawnSite Senior Member

Check your muffler. Since it happened so abrubtly, might be a piece of rust broke off from inside the muffler and is blocking the exhaust? Remove the screen there too, if there is one.

4. ja2852

ja2852 LawnSite Member

thank you thats what I did was remove the screen from the exhaust and I need to go ahead and do the other things as well. I appreciate the replies

5. hornett22

hornett22 LawnSite Senior Member

make sure the exhaust port on the cylinder isn't clogged with carbon.take the muffler off and you'll see it.scrape it out but don't damage the piston.

6. Sandgropher

Sandgropher LawnSite Senior Member

I had the same trouble last week with my trimmer, this is what fixed it, around here we call it "decokeing" getting rid of the carbon build up.:)