Lost 2 account becasue

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnInOrder, Jul 28, 2006.

1. LawnInOrder

LawnInOrder LawnSite Senior Member

got a call yesterday from 2 accounts i have been doing for about 8 weeks. They are next door to each and across the street lives a pro landscaper. I was charging each of the houses $25 a week. I thought it was kinda strange that a landscaper live across the street and he didn;t do them. Anyways i get a call from them saying how i am no longer needed. My first question was why. I was most concerned about my work not being up to par. they said no, your work was great, i just got a better price. I was thinking to myself ahh what can you do until they told me they got it done for $23 from another landscaper who lives across the street. Man that pissed me off. The guy is lowballing me and has to make a living off of it. Man that pissed me offfff. I just politely said ok and if you ever need me give me a call in the future. I was lowballed by $2. what was the least you have evera been lowballed by?

2. greengiant9963

greengiant9963 LawnSite Senior Member

I actually have a landscaper who lives right next to one of my biggest residential lawns. $100 a mow. He even is out sometime mowing his lawn at the same time I am doing my customers. Would hate to lose the lawn. Also yes have been lowballed for 2 or 3 dollars before. Lost 4 lawns and the start of spring for a people that went a few dollars cheaper. To be honest these are the customers that you do not want anyway. They shop for price. They are cheap so thats what kind of service they sould expect...CHEAP.
  3. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

well said. i think the least i have undercut by (that i know about) was $5.
  4. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

2 BUCKS!!! lol Nothing like saving 8 bucks a month! Man you're better off without them...what a joke!
  5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

They just did you a favor, if the best that guy can undercut you by is 2 dollars then your own price was likely a bit low. Meanwhile, he just broke two rules in the business which state 'never steal another Lcos work' and 'never work for family, friends, or neighbors' something which he evidently doesn't realize is going to bite him, it is only a matter of time.

So don't worry about it, let them fend it out amongst themselves... Meanwhile: Next !
    Oh and don't forget to put a mark by their price, wherever you keep records, add 5 dollars to their fee in case they call you back anytime in the future, the price for their service is now $30.
  6. Sandgropher

Sandgropher LawnSite Senior Member

They may have gone with the guy any how, as a neighbour type thing, wave every day , wives might be friendly etc , if i had some one across the street i would not insult them by calling some one else to do my lawn, but Top Sites is right do not mow your neighbours, it they are not happy with his work it will put a strain on nieghbourship relations, do not forget this guy has no travel time so he is doing it for the same profit as you are.

P.S he may be on a higer hourly rate than you, no windshield time.
  7. LawnInOrder

Well i don;t think my price is too low i am charging what most, lol always a few lower, are charging for the lawns i do. I mean i don' have to support a family or pay for workers and don;t have alot of over head with my golf Cart set-up and a lawn boy, which i hope to get a 32" soon. You guys think i should raise my "standard price" for size lawns this big in general in the future? I will deff be adding $5 like topsite said if they want me back. I mean the guy that is taking over has to be at least 55 and been in business for over 25 years. He only has one crew but still. You guys think i am pricing too low. I will try to get a picture of the property. LawnInOrder
  8. LawnInOrder

All my house are liek literary 3 minutes away tops. This house is about 2 minutes and with this i don;t have much windsheld time lol. I don;tr have a windshield in my golf cart but anyways. oo i see how that makes sense him making the same profit, but what about paying for his workers and stuff,.My hourly rate is $60 . i don;t how he would be on a higher one if he is charging a lower price i am confused. Can someone explain that to me. thanks LawnInOrder
  9. Mower For Less

Mower For Less LawnSite Senior Member

If he has larger mowers, and gets the property done faster, then he would be at a higher hourly rate, even though he is charging slightly less per cut. I dont know the specifics of your times vs his times, but it could be true.

10. Ric3077

Ric3077 LawnSite Bronze Member

Wait...you mean you pull your rig with a golf cart? Please post a pic I gotta see this!