Lost 2 customers to Cheaper prices.......

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jpp, Apr 7, 2005.

1. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

Today when I got home two messages were on the machine. One message was JP called to let you know that I will not be needing your services this year. I am looking for someone to do it cheaper and with a small mower. I Called the guy and asked him what he meant by a small mower and he said a push mower. I said fine good luck to you and good bye. This is a small apartment unit.

Second message was JP I am calling to let you know that I am going to let one of my childhood friends cut my yard. He is working parttime right now and was going to buy a lawnmower to make some extra cash. Oh boy here we go another mower stuck out of the trunk guy. He did say, he was not sure if this would work out and that he might be calling me back. I called to talk to him but he was not home. I think I saw a thread on this awhile back but could not find it. But I guess I am getting hit with the parttimers looking for extra cash.

Sorry I am venting a little.

2. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

todays consumer wants top quality work, at rock bottom prices. alot will pay top dollar for top service, but when they realize THEY CAN get top service for rock bottom prices, you become history. and when this happens you will sit there, feeling like a donkey, for all the times you did those "little extras" at no extra charge. for all the times you changed your schedule to accomodate them on thier graduation party, or barmitva. the only way to survive is to be as cunning, and unloyal as they are. sorry for your misfortune
  3. T Edwards

T Edwards LawnSite Member

Customers come, customers go. That's business. Don't take it personal.
  4. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

Thats true. You will pick up 2 more in no time. Dont sweat it buddy! :cool:
  5. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Don't worry about it... I know it does stink but there's nothing you can do when you deal with the public like this.You will have your loyal customers and the one's that will leave over a couple of bucks,it happens all the time.I have lost a few the same way this year.
  6. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't sweat it. I'm sure you can fill those two empty slots quickly. I had a customer call me and say she wouldn't need me this year because her grandson was going to cut her lawn for her. But she said "I'll call you if I need you". Chances are, junior won't keep it cut on a weekly basis.
  7. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

I know what you mean I lost like 5 or 6 this year to people who are going to do it themselves.The way I look at it is it is easy to say when the grass is not growing.

BOTURF LawnSite Senior Member

I know this has been beat in the ground here but myself iam sick of losing customers to some one who wants to work for extra money so they will work cheap , its like once there gone they are hard to get back. I personally think the state or county or even the feds ought to start busting some of these guys who dont claim any of this cash and are working without insurance , its just not fair to us guys who are doing things right . In this day and age its getting harder to get the new customers who want to pay top dollar for good service , I guess i cant blame these guys for this crappy economy i blame the idiot who runs our country and his good old oil boys
  9. richmadmax

richmadmax LawnSite Member

You are right i would be sick to lost customers too. But you should be mad at them, because everybody should learn the right way to do it. Do you cook food for less time to save on energy, hell no. so when you cut grass you GEt insurance, lisenced, and all the others thing you need. Now Paying for all that you can not do it for $16.00 RIGHT. must be more. The people hiring them don't they think. What about if this guy breaks my $3000. window he makes $16.00 a cut. That is many lawns to cut. I been saying this many times YOU SHOULD ALWAYS DO IT RIGHT OR DON"T DO IT AT ALL.
  10. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Loosing a couple of customers to low price seems like no big deal to some right now. We don't sweat it much. But that sort of thing is only the beginning. The beginning of a big problem that will only get bigger... and bigger... and soon a down spiral begins.

We are fighting a war here that we CAN'T win. Our numbers are way too few (you just wouldn't believe). Even fewer of us are willing to fight and those of us that do are acting as an army of one. Like I said, we CAN'T win this way.

In the end, all of us will face the following options:

-You can't beat them, so you may as well join them, or die trying.
    -Find a way to stay busy without having to compete.
    -Find something else to do.

I have a lot more to say, and I've been meaning to start a thread for a while. I will do so eventually, when I'm mentally prepared to put words to it all........