1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lost 2nd Comm bid of the season to lowballers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by spazfam, Apr 3, 2007.

1. spazfam

spazfam LawnSite Member

Bid was for 11 acres in a office park, winning bid 135.00 per mo or 12.50 an acre! Almost makes you want to give up and just sub out the work.
  2. 1cooltreeguy

1cooltreeguy LawnSite Senior Member

Wow - that is SICK!! and with the cost of living - especially in NY. Sorry to hear that.
  3. greengiant9963

greengiant9963 LawnSite Senior Member

Wow..that is insane..The thing is this year or next that guy will probably be out of business. What really stinks is that there will be a 10 new guys to take his place bidding like that when he is gone.
  4. scagwildcat

scagwildcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from nw. ct.

the big problem is that they set the going rate in the area then go belly-up and ruin it for everyone! thats why i dont go by or believe in going rates. i know what i need to get, doesnt matter what the others charge, like it or leave it. thats my price!
    i know your upset, you have reason to be. i have been in your shoes so many times, and have felt your pain. what ive drilled into my head that helped me was,
    i think of it as what would i think or want? i wouldnt want the cheapest price, i would want a fair price, with good customer service,good quality work,and people that i can trust,and honesty! those are things i would want if i hired a lco, and i want to provide my services to people that want or need the same!
  5. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

next year? try the first few months. sorry to hear about the bad news. hope all goes well for you! Good Luck!
  6. Mulcahy's Landscape

Mulcahy's Landscape LawnSite Member

spazfam, also in rochester ny and running into the same thing. where in rochester are you located
  7. spazfam

spazfam LawnSite Member

West side............Greece, Hilton area did I see you at the lesco store last Thurs with the Puppy? In Henrietta?
  8. jsf343

jsf343 LawnSite Bronze Member

insane. How do you cover cost? so after paying for his costs he will really make how much per acre? $5.00? There was someone in another section or thread who didn't really see what the big deal was about lowballing, maybe he will look at this thread. I am sorry to hear that you lost it like that.
  9. Mulcahy's Landscape

Mulcahy's Landscape LawnSite Member

no puppy but i was there picking up seed and trimmers. I have some customers for you in greece i try to stay away as there are alot of johnny homeowners calling them self landscapers tring to make the quick buck. i only go for the hardscapes in the area. look me up in the yellow pages and we can talk more
  10. spazfam

spazfam LawnSite Member

I don't believe he makes anything. fuel will cost him about 10.00 per hour between the truck and mowers easily at 2.80ga. Then you still have to pay someone to do the work.