1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lost a bid.....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by meets1, Apr 17, 2005.

1. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

We have mowed the national guard for the last 6 years in our town. Well, I did not get the bid this year. The bid is good for 3 yrs. Well yesterday I seen the new guy on the block.

First to offence to any one with a weight issue.

This lady was riding a mower with a steel seat - is was that old, but the mower was blowen smoke and sucking for power. I think partly due to the size of her. She was just big. 42 inch deck at the best.

This later I ride by with all our toro stuff on the trailer and there is yet another mowing there. This guy was on a red rider. Looked to me like an old Murray, 42 inch deck and his knees were up to the front panel of the mower. His beard was below the steering wheel and his hair was so long it hung past the seat of the mower. It was a sight.

Then it rained and we kept going but they must of stopped. Then this morning I seen him riding the mower across the hiway pulling a little plastic red wagon with a gas can and that had a string pulling an old red looking mower just going everywhere down the road.

It made me laugh! I think scrub to being to nice to justifiy this guy / gal team!
  2. greenwithenvylandscape

greenwithenvylandscape LawnSite Member

I would keep close to that account. It sounds like you could get it back in a few weeks.
  3. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

it seems like every pickup you see with a beat up old rider in it has a scruffy looking beard guy driving it.
  4. green with envy

green with envy LawnSite Member

It may be a good idea to stop by the site just to "see how things are going"
    Let them know your still out there and available.

I wouldnt be suprised if you get a call when there string breaks and they lose there little red wagon.

Good luck,

5. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

Funny, usually government organizations have some sort of screening proscess to sort through the rif-raf.Something tells me the current mower won't last through the three year contract.
  6. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

That's kinda f'd up .... I do work for the state & county and they check all the paper work as well as the cheapest price .... I have a little gem last 7 years which will soon turn to coal as the office is closing in June .... no word yet but once the state sells the property that'l be that .... it's in a nasty area .... I bid it high as I really did not like the area .... got it as no-one else bid on it
  7. gl1200a

gl1200a LawnSite Senior Member

Well, I bid the local Armory in Iowa City this year and did a bare bones bid of around $2600.00 yearly. Some knothead got it with a bid of $950.00 for all 27 mowings per year! Another nearby City job was gotten for $8.33 per acre.

No more municipal bids for me.
  8. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

The bid here was based on 25 mowings, April 15 thru Oct. 15. Total bid was $800 for the enitre year. I went by the site today and they have yet to trim the walks and curb and never did blow grass off the side entrance doorways and walks.

We did the mowing in 1 hour with 2 Z Master 52", if one finished first, that person started trimming. We were fast and efficient. The way I see it, he may be able to have himself some beer money after all is said and done!
  9. bplawncare

bplawncare LawnSite Member

im sure youll get the job back :cool2: