1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lost a customer this year yet?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CNE, Apr 26, 2004.

1. CNE

CNE LawnSite Member

I lost my first customer ever. Does it not hurt as bad with the second or third? I picked them up last year after their mower broke. All it needed was a belt but the husband didn't want to mow it. He does body work and has a small shop in his yard for side jobs. He said in the time it took him to mow it, he could make more than enough doing body and paint repairs to pay me to do it. So I did it for about the last 2/3 of the season last year. Well, his wife jumped all over him this year and made him fix the mower and do it himself. So now I'm out $50 a week. They are actually friends of mine but I wish the mower would blow up. LOL!!!
  2. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Never lost a customer.....YET.......,
  3. bugspit

bugspit LawnSite Senior Member

Lost one, husband came back home to make up.
  4. Mark Lawncare

Mark Lawncare LawnSite Member

I just lost three because the guy who used to do them recoverd from his knee problem. They were three of my best lawns but the costomers had the other guy for around 10 years and were loyal. I was hopping he might retire.
  5. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I lost a few due to price increase and conversion from price per cuts to monthly agreements. I'm still ok, but yes it does bother me alittle. Hopefully I will replace them and add a few more as the season really gets going. I might have to finally breakdown and start advertising.LOL
  6. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I've lost one here and there, but as the old saying goes in this business, lose 1 today but gain 3 tomorrow. I'm actually having quite the growth spirt this year, might have to add on a new guy and a new machine.
  7. No Lawncares

No Lawncares LawnSite Member

This is my first year and I would have to say I tripled my business this week. Met 2 realtors form different companies, did their personal yards and have gotten calls daily from them.
  8. Del9175

Del9175 LawnSite Senior Member

I have only lost 3 this year. One of them I didn't want to continue doing. Another, the house was about to go into forclosure so they sold cheap. I showed up to mow and noticed the house was empty. The guy owed me $95. Don't suppose I'll be seeing that money. The third i'm not sure if I lost it yet. She is an old lady who I think may have died this past winter. The past four years I've been doing it, she would want me to stop service in about Nov. and call me in the spring when it gets growing again. I would have expected a call by now.
  9. rivablaster701

rivablaster701 LawnSite Member

Lost two today
    #1 only mowed this one once owner comes out last friday after I cut it and tells me her lawn has never looked so good.. Today I get the call lawns been scalped mowed too high missed spots grass in bedss ect ect ect ..see ya later.
    #2 This one is the weirdest ever I have a brother who coaches high school baseball. One of my accounts has a son on the team. Father calls me and cancels my mowing because son is not playing enough. What the @$%&.
  10. GrassFearsMe

GrassFearsMe LawnSite Senior Member

It always hurts except when its the customer you cant stand nemore that bothers you about everything.