1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lost a fertilizing job to TG

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by rhyan6, Mar 9, 2011.

1. kilgoja

kilgoja LawnSite Senior Member

that may be true....i was speaking more of residential accounts...not commercial...or does that apply to residentials as well?
  2. kilman

kilman LawnSite Member

what is the best fertilizer
  3. KeystoneLawn&Landscaping

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Thats about what I would be at.
  4. greenbaylawns

greenbaylawns LawnSite Senior Member

I might go to $189 but I doubt it. This could turn into another one of those what is your cost posts. Were at $3 per thousand and a $25 base charge.
  5. hoyboy

hoyboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from Chicago

That means you would be at $148...not $189.
  6. nepatsfan

nepatsfan LawnSite Gold Member

LOL...I noticed that. A little grade school math goes a long way.
  7. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

cutting my throat by 35-50 per job they not from my town last yr took one from me that i mow Told owner the mowing rate will go up I always discount the mowing if I have everything customer hires out for the lawn
    This same lawn when they sprayed broad-leaf they killed lot shrubs in the lawn and TG told them there stuff wouldnt kill them
    Well all I can say is I got job back probly will get the others back in time
  8. greenbaylawns

greenbaylawns LawnSite Senior Member

That would be $4 per thousand as I said "I might". But I doubt it $148 $150 same difference
  9. justanotherlawnguy

justanotherlawnguy LawnSite Bronze Member

TG is garbage and i have weened most of my customers off of them. Goes back to the tried and true saying "you get what you pay for".

I can find more TG horror stories than success stories. How many bad referrals do you want?

We have seen lawns treated by TG that just go downhill from day 1 and after a year of their watered down treatments, the yard is toast...
  10. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Obviously, situations are local, and unique to the applicator, plus other factors.

I don't know their rates. I do not do applications, so never compete directly. My offerings are mowing, mulching, trimming, etc, but we do have many common customers.

Many years ago, TG and I were at great odds. The application rates were too high, and the release rates were too quick. I was ending up with hayfields two weeks after their visit.

However, over the years, something has changed. It is not the applicator. The same person has serviced this area for nearly 30 years. In recent years, his work has been very good. I no longer see the growth spikes. The growth rates of the turf is consistent with others. I believe two things have changed: (1) Application rates are lower, (2) Material has controlled release N in the mix.

He is one of several larger applicators, and many smaller ones. This means that TG must be not much differently priced than others. They co-exist with other companies, including small-time operators. Certainly, they have no monopoly, nor are they a bit player.

Now that their work has changed, and I am pleased to work on the same property, I do not hesitate from giving their name as a referral. At one time, I warned anybody I could: Stay away! But, all that is changed.

The applicator is friendly toward me, and visa-versa. He is very accommodating to my schedule, and has offered to return another time if we approach a property at the same time. In fact, I would say he defers to me far often than I defer to him. He knows that I have a weekly schedule and respects that position.

My take: Blanket statements are not necessarily true.