Lost a good account today

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by meets1, Apr 27, 2011.

1. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

I was doing a hopstial. 4 z's, one on the wb and alot of trimming. All bagged, trimmed, edged, looking great every week.

I am also fert/spraying there which I am continuing and sweeping and striping the parking lot.

They decided to go with another lawn care company for mowing. I don't understand people. They were getting a good deal cuz the bushes were getting done twice a year, spring and fall clean up, branches hauled away which were many, they have two gravel parking lots which we would come in after hours and spray them down with roundup and kept things looking good.

it was a contracted deal from april 15 till the last fall clean up. It was pennies to say the least but thinking that were now full service with these guys i can cut a good deal. Well here we are.

People are always changing at this place as well. First the ceo, then the mantaince guy, then a secrarty lady, now the CFO lady who thinks she is all it.

Tired of people already and I have only become the lanwcare biz for the year.

just a little ranting I guess!

2. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

people go with price. loyalty is out the widow and thats even more the case with commercials. Maybe they come back, maybe not. New ones will come.

3. soloscaperman

soloscaperman LawnSite Gold Member

Dude up in CT Hospitals are cutting back. I have a customer that got laid off from a major hospital and she worked in the ER. I have another customer that had her hours lowered and she is a nurse.

4. mowcrazy

mowcrazy LawnSite Senior Member

Here where I am there was a solo operator that took care of our local county hospital for years. He did a great job to say the least. after 9 years with him they went with someone else. That place now looks like a$$ but you know what. come to find out the hospital signed the contract with the new fellas to only mow 14 times in the 2011 season. Our small county hospital is to say the least in really bad shape financially and in the process of trying to sell.

I had a post not long ago with a bank. I came in and mowed for 2 years, got all the weeds taken care of and landscaping in shape. Place looked GREAT and they canned me. There is no loyaly with commercial jobs.

Like I said in my post a while back. I WOULD TRADE EVERY COMMERCIAL ACCOUNT I HAVE FOR A RESIDENTIAL ACCT. I have never lost a res acct in 14 years unless they moved or deid. Ive gotten rid of them before but never lost 1

That stinks man, hope you find some more work to replace it!

5. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

It pee's me off. Keep this but forget the mowing??

Thats just it - I did land another big account a week ago and then loss this hospital account. Never fails - always seems to even out, never really get ahead in this game.

6. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

Fert the crap out of the place so the other guy mowing can't keep up. :) Then when you get the mowing part back, use a growth inhibitor.

7. Premier landscaping south

Premier landscaping south LawnSite Senior Member

You put forth a good effort and are proud of your work and believe you are the best crew for the job and whamo it's gone. I feel you my friend. Keep your head up and keep on keepin on. I have had similar experiences and know how you feel.

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I sometimes think, maybe they weren't such good customers after all.

Because I tell you what, I've got customers that have been with me 8, 9 and 10 years.
    I mean to tell you, I still have some that I've had since day 1!

And one does hate to lose them.

Yup, it's always the same money at the end of the month.

But look at it this way, at least you're gaining over top of losing instead of just losing.

9. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

The hospital here has had 3 contractors in 3 years. I think they just changed again a few weeks ago. It was all done in house till they were recently bought out. Now they must put it up for bids every year and go with whoever is lowest. No loyalty at all. And it is a HUGE account, at least for our area.

10. soloscaperman

soloscaperman LawnSite Gold Member

I think whats happening is the guys are bidding low thinking they will raise the price the next year and then the hospital finds someone else. Right when you think your on top of the game they pull a quick one.