Lost a good account yesterday :(

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Drivefaster35, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Drivefaster35

Drivefaster35 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

We'll I had this fairly nice condo development that I had last year. It was watered regukarly and fertiilized made great money on it and really turned it arounf in a years time. (before it was kinda thin and stragly). Anyhow the guy that developed it turn everything over to the HOA this year and they had gotten a couple calls and bids from people just walking in. We'll to make a long story short the president of the board called me and said he fought hard for me and himself and everybody else was very happy with the work I had done last year but the new guy they hired had done work for 2 people on the board at there previous houses therefore they felt a personal connection with him. Really sucks when I did nothing wrong, wasent overpriced or had any problems before. Kinda like the old saying goes if it ain't broke don't fix it. Oh we'll just kinda down lately and still waiting on a lot of callback from hopeful repeat customers. :(

2. Weekes

Weekes LawnSite Member

#1 reason I debate whether to do a commercial bid. To cut throat. You get a new manager or HOA committee and it does not matter how good you are or how your rates are. They'll dump you on a whim.

3. nlminc

nlminc LawnSite Bronze Member
    from GA

Keep your chin up! They may be calling you back if the new company doesn't perform. Did they tell you if your price was out of line with the other company? Usually that's the deal breaker with a HOA. They change hands sometimes from month to month. Stay in touch with them.

I've been thru the same thing over the years. You'll pick someting new up shortly! This year I'm losing residential customers because they can't afford lawn care anymore. People in 500k homes! I also had a paver job put on hold because the customer...an exec. just ran into a financial bind. He's going to let me know next week if he'll need his deposit back or not!

4. chuck bow

chuck bow LawnSite Senior Member

Boys this country is in a sorry state for sure . Looks to me like the unemployment lines are going to get bigger and bigger and foreclosures are going to be sky rocketing more than they are now I dont know what its coming to, guys are going to be losing there jobs and cutting for little of nothing to just put food on the table . I agree there is no loyality in com work period its all about the buck no matter how good of job you do . I have also lost a few this yr to cheaper prices and uncle joes friends cousin is starting a mowing business and will do it cheaper than you

5. Drivefaster35

Drivefaster35 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Believe it or not Charlie the president of the board said it wasen't a matter of price he specificly told the board he fetl they were making a mistake and it may come back to bite them on the butt, however he's only one vote out of I believe 6 or 7.

6. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

Very sorry to here of your loss. I lost a appartment complex this year also. I hated to lose the money, but I needed to lose are get rid of some anyway. If you do commercial accounts very long you will find out the ones that are not privetly owned seem to go with a new cheaper bid quite often. One word of advice is to bid for more than 1 year, like 2 or 3 year contract. This way if you need something it helps you get it paid for. I know you are depressed right now, but if you do good work it always seems if you lose one you will gain one.

7. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

this has happened to me too....

I spent all summer getting one in GREAT shape only to be let go....

but I bet you a wooden nickle thay will want you back after 2 to 3 months.

If they dont I'll eat my hat..........

8. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

What leads you to the conclusion about unemployment? What constitutes a "sorry state?"

9. chuck bow

chuck bow LawnSite Senior Member

In my State we are losing manufacting jobs every single day and they are taking them overseas which puts more and more out of work so the lines just keep getting longer, back in late 60 early 70s my area ( 2cities ) had over 50,000 gm jobs as time went on we kept losing more and more jobs so as today ( 2008) we have 0 gm jobs yes 0 gm jobs and thats only the beginning as other factory jobs tied to auto industy have left the area too home building is down all over the country and more and more foreclosures with down sizing going on and i could go on and on That my Friend is what a sorry state this country is in but thats only my 2 cents if you think its good where you at iam happy for you and your fellow neighbors

10. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

With the economy as bad as it is and getting worse, more and more people will get laid off and outsourced which means a whole slew of new guys that will be thinking they can make it big as self employed lawnboys.