Lost a job today 'cuz I wasn't wearing safety glasses

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Scag48, Jun 25, 2001.

1. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Hey guys. I'm gonna tell you of my misfortune. I had a job that I had just recently landed and when I went to mow it today, the guy had mowed it already. I was thinking that was a little weird. Turns out, he said it was "out of control". I was on vacation from June 15 until June 24, 10 days. I mowed his lawn the day I left which was a Friday. I left that night on vacation. I dropped a note at his house saying that I needed his watering schedule and his home address. He doesn't live here so it's his vacation home. Anyway, he originally wanted me to mow it every 2 weeks, but I knew it would be "out of control" by then so I mowed it for the first time the Sunday before I left (June 10) and came back that Friday and it was long. So when I showed up today, he was pissed cuz I waited 10 days to mow, after he already told me to mow it every 14 days. I told him I was on vacation and he got mad about that. I told him I like to go on vacation too and that I was sorry for the mistake. He told me to go edge the lawn, so I got started. Got about half done and he asked me if my prescription glasses were safety glasses. I said no and then he said he can't and won't let me mow his lawn and that it wasn't going to work out. I said fine and left. I probably would have lost the job down the road anyway cuz he doesn't like mulching and since that's all I do, I won't settle for bagging. Too much of a hassle. Anybody else have these kind of people kick you out? If my eye was "injured", it would be MY own fault for NOT wearing safety glasses, although I am on his property so he thinks I'll file a lawsuit. Oh well. Probably better off without him. Got a new job to replace him though. Much nicer people. ;)

2. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

I sink a faks a mixa up. Did you mow this grass Sunday before leaving or Friday. June 10th till today is 15 days!

3. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

The nerve of that guy! Wanting you to be safe on his property! ;)

I know we know that its your problem if you get hurt, but maybe he doesn't know that. Also, he may not want the hassle when you do blow your eye out for being stupid. He's on vacation to relax, not to take you to the Emergency Room.

As far as the mowing goes, obviously if you didn't have the guys address, you didn't have a contract. Maybe if you had a written contract you could prove that he wanted it cut only every 2 weeks.

Hope you learned two valuable lessons today.

1. Safety First : No matter how cool you think you are, or how much you know that it will never happen to you, wear the damn safety gear!!
    You'll be really cool with one eye (no offense to any member with one eye)

2. Put Everything In Writing!!!!! : Everyting!! People forget, you forget, and things are misunderstood and misinterpreted. If that was in writing there would be NO confusion by either party.

Hope this helps put the situation in prespective!

:)

4. script

script LawnSite Member

I don't mean to sound off the subject, but wouldn't prescription glasses serve the same purpose as safety glasses? I've never had to wear prescription glasses myself and was just wondering if it really made that big of a difference.

Bobby

5. Guido

Big Difference! One is approved for stopping or slowing shooting debris, one is for correcting vision. They do sell perscription safety glasses though!

6. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

The customer was playing it safe. If you are injured on his job and do not have full worker's compensation he is liable and can be sued. I do not blame him one bit. I would never let a contractor on my property w/o proof of insurance.

7. script

script LawnSite Member

That's good to know in case I ever have to hire a helper, I'll know not to think that the prescriptions are safe enough. Thanks David.

Bobby

8. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Script-That's the point! I do have prescription glasses and I can't wear the safetly glasses over them because they scratch the lenses and at $125 for a set of new lenses, I ain't gonna risk it. If I take my glasses off, I'm almost blind, then that wouldn't be safe at all. What a dilema.
    Cos-I mowed it on Sunday AND on Friday and by the time I got there Friday, it NEEDED the cutting badly.
    Guido-I know I need to get contracts now. I'm going to write all the stuff down from now on and have them sign it. Common sense would have told the guy to give me his number but he doesn't have any so too bad for him.
    Anybody else have any ideas of what I can wear to keep myself safe, or should I just wait and see how many other customers reply to this. Nobody has ever said anything about this before. The house is worth at least 200K but the lawn is tiny. I'm sure that if I DID put my eye out, it would be MY fault and if I did decide to sue him, he'd have enough money to pay for it. ;) Any ideas on protection guys? Thanks.

9. Guido

Most of the guys I work with just get a cheap pair of perscrip. glasses and wear extra big safet glasses over them. A couple have prescription safety glasses and they said they're great.

It shouldn;t be the fact the customer will get mad or not, you should want to have both of your eyes for your first date! ;)

Be Safe Man!

10. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

scag 48 i think you just met a real horse hiney.hope i get away with that.everything could have been perfect and he would have still complained.takes all kinds and that kind i avoid in the interest of staying out of the county hotel.better luck and later