1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lost a "Little Fish" Today.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AltaLawnCare, Sep 25, 2001.

1. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Customer called me up and asked ,"how big are your mowers, you use pretty big mowers don't you?". I said yes, medium to large, I guess, then he says, "I think my property is more suited to a push mower, I got a boy who's out of work now and does odd jobs for me..." I knew where this was going at this point, I said well I was going to discuss something with you anyway, now I figure an annual price for mowings at a minimum of 20 per season, (I've mowed this rental property 12 times this season, double cutting it to make it look right).
    I told him for me to do it next year this would be the price, which was about 1.5 times more than I'd gotten this season. Back in the early spring I lowered my price to match what he had said he was quoted from another - by $10.00 per cut!

Moral to the story, don't drop for price shoppers - they will always be looking for a better deal, and if confronted with a situation like this, ask to see the other bid in writing so that if someone else is really low balling, you'll at least know who it is.

We left on very good terms, he said if you needed that incrrease, then I did you a favor. I said yes, and that I appreciated his business for the past year. At laest if he calls me again, he'll have an idea of what I'll need to charge to do it.

BTW - if anyone is wondering how big the yard is, its a little over an acre, took me 45 min to 75 min, depending on how much I had to double cut.

This is going to be the beginning of me weeding out some of my less desirable jobs...:D

HOWARD JONES LawnSite Member

That out-of-work boy will suddenly find a job before he push mows that acre very many times!:D
  3. the point man

the point man LawnSite Member

Did you point out to this customer that the kid probably is not
    covered by insurance? Just one of the things that separates the
    men from the boys. At any rate, I know how it feels to be released
    by a customer. It sucks.
  4. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

thats tuff . hard to beat what these kids can do it for w daddys mower an gas.i take it she wouldnt let you do any of the stuff a kid cant do. in any case hes between girl friends ,and there ll
    be the school trips and o course he got to spend a month at the beach next summer. in any case i know it makes you feel like
    you wasted your effort trying to give her a pro job.later now
  5. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, good point about the insurance. I meant to put in my first post:

After I got the acct., I asked if he wanted a certificate if ins, he never asked for it. I faxed it to him, but I get the feeling I have been the only one with ins to cut it, and he's had several mow it.
    BTW this is a rental property.

Another interesting thing, he had called me back in August and asked why I had cut it twice in July! He wanted to get by with a once a month cut. The last time I was there I took before and after pictures to show him how much it was growing between cuts. I was talking to a tennant there and she said that she wishes it was cut more frequently, I agreed and told her that I was going to try to talk to the owner, and let him know I would have to raise the price and frequency of cut. I won't miss this acct very much, it was my smallest (lowest paying) and the yard was very uneven and bumpy.
    I don't know how old the guy is who's doing it now, I get the impression that he's pretty young, but you never know!
  6. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

If it makes you feel better, I will loan you my pushmower, full of gas, so you can make that $15.00 a cut ok?....LOL just kidding. Just remember, sometimes we all have to take 2-3 steps backwards to see that where we were really wasnt that bad afterall. Maybe after a few hit or misses with the kid that owner will realize what he had with your service and call you back. If he doesnt, just fill the spot with a much better client and all will be better!
  7. Hello:

Like I said your better off, without them.

If you can't make what you ask for & you have to lower your Price, Is it Really Worth it? Nope! :)

I found out real soon in the Ball Game that if you lower your Price one Dollar, it comes Home with you & it Ain't Worth it. That's a Capital A in the word Ain't.

If you have to lower what you think is a fair price, Just stay Home & Build stuff in your spare time or do something else! Spend time with yo family, it's far more profitable!

Life too short to be fooled up with Folks that want more for Less!

Just my Thoughts!
  8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

AltaLawnCare wrote:
    he had called me back in August and asked why I had cut it twice in July! He wanted to get by with a once a month cut.

You said earlier that you were double cutting this guy's lawn? I don't think so! If I were to take on a lawn that doesn't get cut on a regular basis then the way it looks when it's done is the way it stays.
  9. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Tell him that its ok with you. "You only deal with good loyal customers that want quality not worried about a buck. "