1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

lost account to a dishonest Lco! Opened my eyes

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by K.Carothers, Mar 31, 2005.

1. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

I've been out in the field contacting my current customers these past 2 days. One of my customers told me that he will not need my services this year that he is going with xyz company. I was shocked to hear this from this guy. He is a senior citizen and I started cutting his grass 2 seasons ago. I cut him a Hugh break on price because I would see him struggling to cut his grass with an electric mower while I busted out 3 lawns in the neighborhood and he told me about his low fixed income. I wanted to help him out and said $20 for the cut(its a $30+ lawn). He did his own Scott treatments on the lawn. Last season he had a major grub problem on the lawn. He continued with the grubex(too late). Another Lco was hitting the neighbors that had lawn service and would say anything to get the business. This Lco blamed the grub problem on me. I took it in stride but had to say my 2cents worth before leaving. I never cut another LCO down when I bid on an open account. I'm finding that the customers that talk trash on their previous LCO's turn out to be the pita's. It doesn't pay to be the nice guy(lower prices,extra work etc..) to the cheapo's. I would like to apologize to the ones on this forum that I was harsh to about their pricing, calling people scrubs/ lowballers, you name it! They make me sick. My eyes have been opened. Its unfortunate that some LCO's in this industry screw us all.

ADLAWNCUTTERS LawnSite Member

I Have Learned Over 20 Years You Get Your Price ,or Every Time You Go There You Will Kick Yourself. Set You Price If People Don't Like It ,be Business Like And Polite And Tell Them To Get Thier Yardman Out. :)
  3. greenpatch

greenpatch LawnSite Member

Had the same thing happen to me lost 2 small jobs said they were on fixed incomes got the lawns looking good spent a ton of time on the lawns trying to help them out thought I had jobs locked in somebody came by undercut me they called stopped service and at the price I gave them and all the time and fertalizer trying to get the lawn looking really nice this is the thanks I got and your right my eyes are wide open now to.The price I gave them would be very hard to beat.
  4. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

Why charge $20, when you can get $30. A lesson I learned a few years ago.
  5. turf9

turf9 LawnSite Member

I never cut another LCO down when I bid on an open account. I'm finding that the customers that talk trash on their previous LCO's turn out to be the pita's

To true but as long as you set your price right with these types and you actully recieve payment on a regular basis. What the he11 I'll take his money for a wile.

I know nothing is forever and most of the time life goes on lol.
  6. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

I don't like to talk bad about any other lco's. I know it's a big world and there's plenty of room for other companies. I let my quality and work ethic speak for itself.
  7. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Like AD said set your price and go with it. I learned the hard way too last season, gave a senior citizen a break and all she was, WAS A PITA the whole season, "you missed a spot", "are ya gonna do over there", and standing on her front porch glaring at us the entire time we were there. There were no missed spots, and I typically don't stop mowing half the yard just to trim along a fence then go back to mowing, but I couldn't explain that to her. I don't give seniors a break anymore, I just explain to them that as much as I understand, its too expensive with fuel prices, equipment maintenance ect.
    This year so far the response has been fair to good but you know how some seniors can be, they think I made them become old and put them in the situation they are in. payup
  8. richmadmax

richmadmax LawnSite Member

Yes why don't people get this. If you want to make a lot you can cut 50 accounts at lowball price or 30 account at a higher price. Lowballing isn't new guys. You all end up in the same place, a thing called BROKE. Think about it you want to work twice as hard and pay more for gas and other thing. I don't know about you want to work less and get paid more. I love to travel, not work every min on the day. Let me say it one more time in case you don't get it. WHY WHY WOULD YOU LOWBALL A JOB AND WORK TWICE AS HARD, TO MAKE WHAT THE OTHERS ARE.
    and yes i am new to this busses , but it the same as other jobs.
  9. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a customer just like this. What a pain in the ass. I thought the senior citizen discount was a good thing to offer, too, but not any more.
  10. RICHIE K

RICHIE K LawnSite Senior Member

www.kulakandcompany.com :blob4: