1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lost an account this week in Michigan....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by justmjc, May 23, 2004.

1. justmjc

justmjc LawnSite Senior Member

I swear these people are braindead. Since recieving all this rain for the last 2 weeks or so, everyone's lawns have been overgrown. A few as high as 10-12 inches literally.....

Had this one lady, whom i had last year tell me she'd like to stop service, and that she wanted to cut it herself. Said i didn't cut it low enough (so far this season) because it ended up 12 inches high. I asked her if she noticed the rain, as I did nothing different from last year as far as height, day of cut, etc.

Anyways, I said thank you, your do me a favor, have fun mowing, because what takes me an hour with my machine will take 3 or more hours with yours. And incase you didn't notice, your lawn grows like a mf'er. Have fun. :D Few acres of fun that is........
  2. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

i hear that. i had to cut a lawn 4 times yesterday because of all this damn rain, not to mention the grass was wet.
  3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

doesn't look like a great week for us either

But I know what you mean with customers. I had one call up on Thursday telling me about how the lawn needs to be baled because of how thick and tall it was and all I could say was, "Have you noticed the rain lately."
  4. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

And the worst part, is these idiots think that cutting it lower is the answer. "Can you cut it lower? It's growing so fast." As if cutting it a half inch lower is going to make a difference when the lawn is growing 6 to 8 inches a week. I argued with a woman about this the other day. Finally I just said "fine. You want it, you got it." And slashed the hell out of it, one cut. Looked like crap, grass everywhere. She was not happy, but I made sure I pointed out to her that was what she wanted.

And what I absolutely HATE is those people who have to call you to remind you that their lawn needs cutting. REALLY? NO KIDDING! I thought I would just go to Disneyland this week. The worst is when they call the same day you are there cutting anyway, it makes it look like their call made you go cut it. Then they keep calling to remind you. ARGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

:mad: :mad:
  5. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

that is why when a customer calls me, i let it go to voice mail. i have all my customers in my phone, so i know who it is, if its a customer i will let it go to voice mail, if it is imporant i will call them back asap, but if its a simple "my lawn needs cutting today" and they were already on my route, i dont respond to the call.
  6. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I only have voice mail, so all they can do is hear me tell them I am behind because of the rain and long grass, then they say "I know you are busy, but MY lawn is so long!" Then I come along later, after I already cut it and was going to cut it because they were on the schedule for that day anyhow, and hit 7 to erase the call.

It just gets a bit frustrating after a while, especially after working 13 hour days 7 days a week just to keep caught up.
  7. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

be glad you are getting rain. we have gotten 3/10 of an inch in a month and a half and are cutting lawns once a month, twice if we are lucky.
  8. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

We are cutting em 16 times a month, or 12 times a month..

The bummer is we are only getting paid for 4 cuts per month, but with the record rainfall you need to go over em, 3 or 4 times.

I had a lady call and say um, you didnt come yesterday to cut my grass. Can you come first thing in the morning? IT WAS STORMING ALL DAY! Stupid ladies.

9. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

I love when they call when its raining out .

Had one on Friday do it 70mph winds golf ball size hale yes ill be right there :D :D she bounced a 200.00 dollar check and still hasn't payed for April yet .