Lost another bid

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by delphied, Sep 9, 2007.

1. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

Woman wanted 10 yews trimmed. They were large but not tall. She also wanted mowing. I said $125 for the shrubs thinking I would have wiggle room. I bid 44 on the mowing. She said someone else bid $35 for the shrubs and $35 for the mowing. I could see the 35 for mowing but the shrubs was a ridiculous bid. She said the only problem was, they never showed up.LMAO. I just said, I cant match or even come close, sorry. Ive got enough low paying jobs. Im just letting the bad ones pass. The lowballers can have em.
  2. jsaunders

jsaunders LawnSite Bronze Member

better off without them- ?-$125 for 10 large bushs (seems like a good(cheap) price)

If she calls back and you don't need the work I would up the price if you want.
  3. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

EXACTLY! If she calls back - your now backlogged with work and could fit her in for $150ish and I'll see ya in 2 weeks!
  4. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

I seldom raise prices on prospective work unless the estimate itself is out of date. You are putting a termination date on your estimates aren't you?
    Mine are good for one month from the date of estimate.
    A good for instance, lady calls and wants 30 acres of Oak trees trimmed, debris chipped, essentially the whole property pruned nicely. I quote a figure, and she says she will think about it. I resist the temptation to forget her....six months later she calls and wants a re-bid.
    Seems her brother in law was working for her and didn't finish the job as she knew he wouldn't and remembered that I was the "nicest, most polite" estimator on her property.
    I have a meeting this next week to discuss production scheduling and draws on the job as she has already signed the contract.
    Remember, just because you don't get the job the first time around you very may well the second.
  5. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

I only give verbal estimates. Why give them proof of your price to show to the next guy?
  6. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

If you called someone for work at your house would you be happy with a verbal bid?
  7. jsaunders

jsaunders LawnSite Bronze Member

The people I have work at my house have done work for me before. I don't even ask for a price- since I can't do the work and it needs to be done. I'm usually also the one who calls the contractor to ask what the bill is so I can send out a check.
  8. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Unless it's a regular customer and a small job at that, I always put it in writing. Why? To eliminate any misunderstanding later. If it ain't in the bid, then it's not happening. Pure and simple. I don't worry about the next guy. I consider myself to be a strong closer. I let the next guy worry about himself.
  9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I don't give written estimates either for the same reason, so they don't have a piece of paper to shove in the next guy's face.
    But I DO write it down on my end, in my notebook, to make sure I remember, just in case they call within the next day (or 3)...
    And the odd case who calls a year or two later (you'd be surprised), I want to make sure I remember (not just the price either).
    I tell you there's more than one benefit to knowing, a year or two down the road, OH yeah Hi how you doin, yeah I remember you, you live on such-and-such road etc, etc... Now I read between the lines and if they're impressed by this memory it's likely a better deal than if it puts them off (cuz if it puts them off it means they were hoping you had forgotten lol).

But if they don't call back in some kind of short order (3-4 days max, really 24-48 hours because what's the problem), this applies:

Yup, anytime I give an estimate and the price isn't good enough the first time, I edit out where I wrote the stuff down and the price always goes up some, same goes with the folks who call me 2-4 weeks later to finally say do it (thou it's harder to do and I don't always get to do it lol) but it's the same thing because to me it means they done called all around etc, etc...
  10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

35 for the shrubbery work...Just another example that goes to show us the number of morons out there that don't have a clue what they are doing.

As far as the written estimate thing....for small stuff like this, I seldomly bother...unless either they ask, or I have a feeling about the people.