Lost another customer to.........

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by geogunn, Jan 8, 2005.

1. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

the grim reaper. I just found out. he was buried yesterday.

he was 75, and seemed healthy enough but something caused a heart attack.

the funny thing is over the years I never dealt with his wife or family, only him.

he had sons and grandsons living right there in the house and even on both sides of him. but none of them would mow or trim this very steep bank in the front down to the road.

he never failed to thank me for coming and working for him. not even once.

GEO :(

2. LawnMowerBoy48

LawnMowerBoy48 LawnSite Member

One of my customers a couple of years ago shot and killed himself. He was a very nice man, always a pleasure to talk to. He was continually getting sick and was in and out of the hospital and could not deal with it anymore. I was really sad when I heard of his passing, but I am glad that I was able to help him out with things he needed help with.

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I think we lose more older people in the wintertime than any other time of the year. Dunno if it's the cold, shoveling snow (when they shouldn't be), depressed about the holidays, etc.

Sorry to hear of your loss GEO...he sounds like a nice gentleman.

4. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Being in Florida I have a lot of retired customers and many of them are quite old. I had 3 pass on during this past mowing season. Most of them are great people and I really miss them when they go up yonder.

5. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

Sorry to hear that Geo. I lost 2 this year in the same month. I had to work through both of the funerals too.

6. hulan2

hulan2 LawnSite Member

I hear you pal. I lost one this year too. She was the BEST one of all the accounts. Always thanked me, gave me a $10 per cut raise even though I told her it was unnecessary, paid on time. It was nice to have her for the past 2 seasons. I wish more customers appreciated work like she did, makes it more enjoyable.

7. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

Are you still going to service the lawn?

A couple of years ago I lost my best customer. He was in his 50's and just finished settling for a couple of million for a back injury. He come down with a cold and didn't think anything about it and ended up dying from it. The sad thing was he didn't get to enjoy the money he received for his last few years of suffering in back pain. I still service the account, but i never see his wife. He used to come out every week and chat and give me a tip even though I billed him monthly.

Other then that, my customers and I have been fortunate because I have only lost one other customer in 13 years.

8. hulan2

hulan2 LawnSite Member

Soupy if you are asking me..no. She was a widow and I kept the place until they sold it. Her daughter said she would pass on my info at closing, but I never heard anything. I went by when the new owners moved in and of course some one else had beat me to it. I introduced myself and let him know I had been taking care of the place for the last 2 years. His daughter got her LCO to do it. Hopefully his quality is not as good as mine and he will give me a call this Spring.

9. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Geogun, I lost one the week after Thankgivings to lung cancer and she was one of my 6 year customers. I usually average at least loosing at least one a year to passing away. Hate to lose anyone that way.

10. TurfGuyTX

TurfGuyTX LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

Geo, sorry to hear it. I've lost too many to the Grim Reaper to remember. It almost makes me not take on new elderly customers. I still have many though.