Lost another good one today

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by QualityLawnCare4u, Apr 27, 2005.

1. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I went to a yard today for a nice older lady I have been doing since last spring. Pull up and the yard had been mowed, no edging or weedeating though. I start to pull off angrily and the lady pulls up about that time. I asked her did she mow herself (nicely of course) and she tells me that she now has a black guy doing it (bagging) she wanted to try. Said she did not like me not bagging it and did not like roundup sprayed along the fence. I told her when I started last spring to let my try mulching it and if she did not like it would be glad to bag. I also reminded her that I did bag it the last 3 times. Also she was the one who sprayed the roundup out except last time and she asked me to do it. This was a lady who never complained, payed on time, and bragged about how good my work was, and I changed a faucet for her,light bulbs, hooked up tv cable and sterio, at no charge. GRRRR :angry: I did not see that coming! All of a sudden does not like my work, it sorta hurts my feelings if someone says my work is bad and never gives me a chance to correct it. What really got me (and you can laugh at this if you want to) is I got down on my knees and asked the good Lord for some help this morning before I left for work. Pulling my trailor to town to do one yard that I did was not worth it. Maybe I need to go into something else. Folks, I have give it my best and my best aint good enough. Running a 30 dollar add in the paper every week and not one call. I have 2 guys coming this afternoon to look at my 737 that I really do not want to sell but looks like Im going to have to. This was a 35 dollar 30 minute yard that I hated to lose! I really think he was cheaper than me and she just did not tell me. Oh well, my saga continues. When I read all these post on here about you folks having to turn down work Im green with envy, please tell me what that feels like? Im fixing to make Bobby Gedd look like a nice guy! :D

2. QualityLawnCare4u

Folks, Im really losing confidence in myself big time! There were 6 inch runners over the sidewalk and un trimmed grass by all the flower bed borders and my work was bad? Man, I must really suck at being a LCO!

3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Its Price. Hes doing it for 15.00. Try to find out by saying you will cut it for less and see what she says.

John

4. QualityLawnCare4u

John, your probably right about the price. She has one of these 10 or 15 dollar guys doing it for her. Man, was she ugly when she pulled up, not even the same lady I had known before.

5. mastercare

mastercare LawnSite Senior Member

That's business! I would be sure to drop off a business card and tell her how you enjoyed providing quality service. And, if for some reason in the future her lawn isn't looking as good as she would like, please give me a call.

Eventually people get fed up with the poor work of cheap prices, and go back. If she doesn't come back....either she has money problems, or didn't appreciate the qulity you provided in the first place. Sometimes people need to taste lemons to realize how sweet chocolate is! (okay....a corny metaphor....I know).

Some people on here do have more business than they can handle....and its killing them! One thing I learned long ago was that you can't compare yourself to others. Many companies have failed because of growing too fast and going into debt to sustain their workload.

Other companies do massive volumes of work with lower profit margins, and may have a high income....but match it with equally high expenses. You'll find stories on here of people downsizing to raise prices and turn down customers...and been more profitable!!

It all depends on your business philosophy, and how you want to grow. But, don't compare youself to others.....you'll always find someone with a bigger truck and a bigger bank account....no matter where you work.

You'll also find that there are unspoken expense/labor/financial problems behind every "I'm so great" story you'll read.

6. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

So True. Go out and get another account thats better and you will put that smile back on your face :cool2: .

The only problem with lawn care is the customers :dizzy: Remember that.

Good Luck John

7. Shawns Lawns

Shawns Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

I was out at a customers house and her neighbor came out and asked me to cut her lawn i gave her a estimate. Before i could finish the job i was working on there was a car that showed up with a mower in the back. He left strips and dumped the bagged grass over the fence into the other yard. I am sure it was all about price. :waving:

8. LightningLawns

LightningLawns LawnSite Senior Member

Hey quality lawn, I think your area is just really bad. The posts that you've posted before seem like your area is loaded with low ballers.

9. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

Keep your head up, don't throw in the towel yet.....she can call the lowballer to fix her door or unstick her window, then she will remember what you did, I promise that...stop your ad in the paper, that's what I did....and i seem to get more calls from word of mouth....I read something yesterday about mowing a church for free.....try that, pay yourself $15.00 to do it, "Gods work" take your flier into the office...i bet they will think your a great guy, which could get you some work....I'm thinking of doing that....anyway, had an ok day, had to mow 1 acre with the 36", took me an hour and a half, hit something hard with the blade, but just said "screw it" and kept on crap was 2 feet in some areas....she liked the job I did and had me mow the yard???People are "LOCO"! :dizzy: