1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lost another one...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dhardin53, Mar 29, 2007.

1. dhardin53

dhardin53 LawnSite Senior Member

Just opened my mail today and was informed i was not the low bider on a 15 acer commercial child care/YMCA/ Museum property. I know it was going to the low bider and was ready to get down and dirty and try for this one, Its so close to my home. So I missed it, I called to asked the winning bid and they was real nice and told me there was 7 companies biding and the ranged was from $150 to $700 per mow. Yes I said it right $150 for 15 acres, 5 building a few sidewalks a circle drive and a small parking lot. mostly open field where the play soccer total of more than 3 1/2 blocks long.

I did not even come in second, or what they called there reserve bid/runner up. It just showed you how competitive it is getting. I'm not sure but i am to assume from what they said the guy they had used for the last few years dropped is price to keep the work. GEEEEEs dropped his price to $150. It just blows my mind away.

2. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

150!!??? What the! He must really like that gig lol
  3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Not really...it just goes to show how many people don't have a clue when it comes to pricing, simple.
  4. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

Exactly.....also, the guy will probably end up quiting after the first couple of times he services the property and realizes he's loosing money on the deal.
  5. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

Probably some new guy who thinks he can do it fast and effiecient and thinks hes ahead of the came, come to see it takes to long...i give em a month then hes a no show
  6. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

There are more and more people lowering there bids just to land the job and they don't even realize that having the job is enough when your not making a profit off of it.... Low Ballers gotta hate em
  7. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

I can not tell you how many times I hear you are more expensive than the last guy. Where is the last guy?
  8. F.O.S.

F.O.S. LawnSite Member

Maybe the guy gets free child care at the day care, all the basketball he could want at the YMCA, and two free tickets to the museum.
  9. 1cooltreeguy

1cooltreeguy LawnSite Senior Member

SO, what was your bid? Thanks, Eric

TJLANDS LawnSite Bronze Member

Just got a small Condo dev back after a year off to a low bidder.
    They get what they pay for, I would not lower price to "meet his price" last year. Especially after 2 years of maintenance and plowing.