1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

lost any because of rain?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Jun 20, 2003.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

well, i lost my first customer today because i couldnt cut in the rain. she was due on tuesday, and still wasnt done as of 9 am this morning when she called to cancel. the messege:" hello, can someone call me back? well, on second thought, dont bother, i already got someone else. i dont know why u havnt come, i hear other companies mowing. and u know i have that new fert company, they keep spraying the lawn, and it makes it grow so fast. well, goodbye, and send a bill for what i owe. " boy, it was like the weight of the world was taken off my shoulders. a real pain in the butt customer, and i dont know what they put on her lawn, but it grows like 9 inches a week, and thick. im glad thats over. anyone else have customers upset because they couldnt cut the wet lawn?
  2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

No, But I Do Charge For excessive Nitrogen.
  3. bobbygedd

from NJ

do u really john? or you just messin with me? cus ill tell ya, sometimes this surge growth gets rediculous
  4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Haven't lost any, just a couple of dumb-*** remarks like, "why can't you stay on a 7-day schedule?". My reply was, "look, if I had any say in the weather these days, I sure as hell wouldn't be mowing lawns for a living!"

I actually have come to think that some people think we do this as some hobby or form of entertainment.
  5. bobbygedd

from NJ

yea, got a dumb remark mysekf this morning, as im mowing, man comes out:"let me ask you, what benefit is there for you to mow in the rain?" im like, well, it has to be done, or you want to wait till its 10 ft tall? it may rain next week too. they act like maybe i enjoy getting wet and picking up clumps and tripple cutting.
  6. Rob T

Rob T LawnSite Member

I think people blame us for booking so many customers that we cannot handle the load. The problem is that they don't understand the way this biz works. I don't think a customer could possibly understand how much more time is involved mowing wet lawns. And if you only booked enough customers so you could easily get through the week during spring, then come summer you would be sitting around with nothing to do for 4 days. People won't understand it unless they actually do it.
  7. rodfather

Good analogy...99%+ don't have a clue what it's like for us. And I'm sure the same percentage could give a damn too.

from AL

Never cut the larger accounts wet. Much better to wait for the turf to dry out, put double gators on the mowers & let fly.

Generally the crews are sent out on the smaller props with 21"'s at higher height settings if we must cut wet so they can easily tip & scrape throughout the day.
  9. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree w/ Rob T.!

Fortunately as I have stated before, when we get behind, my landscape crew will jump in and mow as well as we have a spare 48 & 52 as well as 2 trimmers and edger. This week may be the first week we don't get 'em all done. If I can get in a 4-5 hour day tomorrow, we'll be cool. We started late Wednesday & Thursday due to rain, and today got done early due to rain. We have abot 25 leftover from Thurs & Friday which generally amount to nearly 100 accounts.

We've received more rain this month than all of last summer I think.
  10. rodfather

You re probably right, Bob. As of this morning, 6.85" for the month. And now we'll probably get another 2 inches or more before this storm system is done by Sunday afternoon. And June still has another week, too.

BTW, pontoons anyone???