Lost Bid

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gl1200a, Mar 24, 2005.

1. gl1200a

gl1200a LawnSite Senior Member

Well, I just lost my first bid to someone with questionable sense of business. I bid an 18 acre softball/soccer area for $248 per mowing (just mowing). I lost it to someone that is going to mow it for $150.00 per. That's $8.33 per acre. Amazing.

2. Davis Lawn Mowing LLC

Davis Lawn Mowing LLC LawnSite Senior Member

Your bid was $13.77 per acre, not much better. Hello pot, meet kettle. Is that what acre's are going for in Iowa? I would say $720 at least, $40.00 per acre, what I am getting in Michigan.

3. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I can't believe you bidded $13.77 an acre.....that would barely pay for my cost for that much.

4. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

How long does it take to mow something like that?

5. Let it Grow

Let it Grow LawnSite Senior Member

Both of you are WAY to cheap. I don't know how either of you would make any money for that price, unless you have some huge mowers. I'm happy for you that you didn't get the job.

6. westwind

westwind LawnSite Senior Member

sounds really low to me too!!! :dizzy:

7. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

$248.00 is dirt Cheap! $150.00 is the Poor House.

8. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

$500-$700 would be about right

9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

More like the Out House...IMO

10. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Why would you even say something like this? Those numbers are ridiculously far apart. You win bids by being within 3-4-5 %, not 40% like your figures are. So which would it be? $500 a cut, or 40% more at $700? You can't estimate any closer for open soccer and baseball fields with no trimming. You give a 40% margin. That's stupid.

Besides, 18 acres of flat open mowing with no trimming, could be done in about 5 hours max with a 72" ZTR. Traveling at speeds of approximately 7-8 mph would get you about 4 acres done an hour. Easily done on fields like this that are flat in nature and designed to shed water. Even at the always alleged Lawnsite.com $60 an hour theory(yeah, sure) 5 hours worth of work would only be $300.

Low bid is always going to win crap like this. Doesn't matter what your per acre amount is in the residential market. This is the cheap zone. Besides, your selling time, as in hours of work, that's how you price your work. Bidding by the acre is useless. How much per acre? Is that one machine, two machines? Push mowers or zero turns? Or a gang mower? That's what we sell all summer long, is time, labor hours. Figure out how much you need per hour to survive and attempt at profit, then figure out how long each job takes. Then bid accordingly.