Lost bids.......Depressed

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SJR Lawncare, Mar 9, 2001.

1. SJR Lawncare

SJR Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I just found out that I lost 2 bids for 2 seperate community entrances & their common areas. On the 1st one, there were 2 other companies bidding also. My bid was $6640 for the entire thing Spring clean-up & mulch,Fert program,monthly maintenance, & mowing..etc. One other company bid $6200, The other co. way underbid us both with $4900. I couldnt believe it. So I told the community assoc. president, " cheaper doesn't mean better."Then said "thanks & good bye." Hopefully he will also realize this fact. The other lost bid was a smaller place that, when I drove by this morning was already mulched. So I lost that one without even knowing it. Anyway this sucks because I was really hoping to get these, or at least one of them. I guess I'll just keep on trying to get more to take their place. Does this happen to you guys too? How do you deal with it, without going insane??

SORRY SO LONG!!!!!!!!! SJR Lawncare

2. SpringValley

SpringValley LawnSite Member

SJR,
    I know the feeling. I lost a big account that I purchased new equipment for and the Township Trustee had told me it was mine and to go ahead and get the equipment. I am currently talking to my attorney about that one. Today, I just talked to another guy that I bid on his properties and I missed both of them by the exact same amount. It is giving a better idea of where my competition is but they did bid on his residence of 7 acres with a lot of trees and 850 feet of wrought iron fence to trim around. They bid $100 per mow and trim. I told him there is no way I could compete with such a low ball bid. I too am trying to get new clients and I am trying to sell them on quality and great customer service. Good Luck, I am in the same boat.

Matt

3. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

sjr, don't worry about losing 2 bids, you can make it up, from the sounds of it the 1st bid is way to lowand the guy will probablt be out of business soon. also the president sounds like a cheap a$$ and doesn't care about quality he just cares about how fat his back pocket is.

4. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

I remember the first time that I had the opportunity to bid on a commercial account, I couldnt sleep. They had been doing it In-House and I knew that I was going to be able to take the contract- afterall I was the only one bidding it!! I thought for sure that when they found out that I could save them money by outsourcing it to me, that I had a sure fire win.

Well as it turned out, they kept the maintenace In-House and I didnt get that bid. They even had their own equipment, and I knew that I could have saved them on the maintenace and labor by using our services.

Basically this is a time to reflect. You know that you are within a few hundred dollars of the competition, and this is fine. I would not change your pricing structure unless it turns out that you are constantly thousands of dollars above the rest.

If it truely bothers you, then you can re-asses your overhead, and see what you can change to bring it down some to get you into the same ballpark as the others. Just remember that clients and prospects are usually looking for the mid range when looking at pricing. They will throw out the highest and the lowest and look at whats left to make a decision.

The other thing you could consider would be to put a pamphlet together with your prices on it and this way it could save you some ground work, yet keep your name from the circular file by just passing out business cards. This way if they are interested they will call you!! This might help you spinning your wheels and placing bids when they arent doing anything more than price shopping. This will also give you the chance to feel them out over the phone as to their needs and your availability as a LCO.

We have all been there. For the new guys who have not had their turn yet, its down the road. It happens to us all and will continue to happen. The best advice I can give for you is to stand proud on your bid, and continue producing great results. If you have to - line up residential accounts for references so that you will have piece of mind to offer the next prospect.

Good Luck this season!
    Kris

5. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

i have a exmark lazer z 52" 23hp, and i thinking about double blading. i need some info for this unit if any of you guys have tried it for the exmark.and what combinations if you don't mind. thanks

6. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

It's easy for a low ball bid in the cooler months ....wait till it starts to get hot & needs it weekly ....then when the place lots like junk ....give the guy a follow up call ;->

7. cutting edge

cutting edge LawnSite Member

This is the philosophy that I have adopted: God knows what I need and what I don't need.

Yesterday I learned that the high school that I went to was accepting bids for lawn maintenance, but that the deadline was today. I did everything I could (in what little time I had) and came up with a bid. The school board is going to decide Tuesday night on a bid. Normally I would be a nervous wreck waiting on the outcome, but God has been doing some great things in my life lately, and somehow I'm just not as anxious. By the way while working on this bid I got a call from a business that I had given a pruning bid to. They not only accepted my bid on the pruning but they want me to mow also. All I can tell you is to put your faith into God and everything will work out according to his plan.

Derek

[Edited by cutting edge on 03-09-2001 at 09:14 PM]

8. SJR Lawncare

SJR Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the support guys. I guess you cant win them all,I just hope I will continue to have jobs to bid on and Derrick, you are right, it helps to have a little faith in God. Good luck to all.

SJR

9. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Knowing is better than not knowing! I.ve put in 2 bids that amount to $1300.00 a month and can.t even get a staight answer from either of them. I called and left a message for one of them and the guy never called me back, I go by the place and it just looks worse than it did when I bid on it a month ago. I would hate to add more on and then out of the blue they say hey Homer, when can you start? I don't want to overload myself, at least you guys can move on with your life.........this is so depressing!

sniffle
    sniffle

I bid on one yesterday and bid it for a straight dollar a minute........$278.00 per cut but I included in my bid letter that there were plenty of grass cutters out there and we try to separate ourselves from the grass cutters by doing top quality work. They sent me an invitation to bid, I didn.t ask them, we.ll see how that one goes. I have to wait until the 30th for them to open it! Long wait but hey, I just might get it and if I do it will be a nice one!

Oh ya, God will direct your paths if you let him. Garth said it best when he sang unanswered prayers. Left alone we would get ourselves in the biggest mess!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[Edited by HOMER on 03-09-2001 at 09:32 PM]

10. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

This is one of the reasons I no longer bid commercial properties. These guys know how despirate some lawn service companies can get and play them for chumps. I've seen bids lost for less than $100 and the company that lost was doing the property for the last 3 years! The commercial property owners/managers are nothing but whores.