Lost Check

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by GravelyGuy, Jul 3, 2009.

1. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

What do you guys do when you lose a check that a customer has given you? I have one that is only for $39 and I can't find it anywhere. Most banks charge at least $35 for stop payment, so what do you do?

2. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

Call and ask for another one.

Checks that are written to businesses are deposit only so the chances of anyone else cashing them or depoisting them are slim to none. A stop payment wouldnt even need to be made.

3. GravelyGuy

from Indiana

We'll see how that goes.

4. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

You could talk with your customer and explain you have either misplaced or lost the check. You could ask for another check with the stipulation you will guarantee a repayment to him if the first check ever clears the bank (in case it was lost and cashed by someone else).

There is only a remote chance this check will ever clear the bank but if it does you'll not lose anything but your labor for the $39.00.
    Nosmo

5. IN2MOWN

So...?

How has it gone?

6. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I've lost a few checks, but always it has been more of a 'misplacement' in my office :) In this situation I just run it by the customer first, see how they want to handle it. Even though it's the bank's job to verify the person depositing or cashing a check is the person it is written to, a lot of times they just don't look.

7. GravelyGuy

from Indiana

Sorry, I haven't talked to them yet. I have turned my truck and house upside down looking for this damn thing.

8. GravelyGuy

from Indiana

I got another check:cool2: They handled it pretty well, I would have been annoyed.

9. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

never lost a check in my life....... I guess some people are more careless than others.

especially when it comes to money...

10. IN2MOWN

Annoyed?

It was a simple mistake that happens quite a bit. If you let something that small annoy you...