1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lost good customer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by williams lcm, Feb 5, 2010.

1. williams lcm

williams lcm LawnSite Bronze Member

I lost good customer down the street from me. Not only a customer but a neighbor down the street. I took care of three rental properties plus their home for them. Always showed up on time and have mowed them on Friday's because that is what they wanted. (Looking good for the weekend) They never had one problem with me. They loved the quaility of work I did. I did this for 2 years. Then they wanted me to rebid them to include trimming all shrubs , weed control and mulch all properties once a year. No problem. They told me that they got a bunch of quotes and I bid the same as the other company but that the other company was going to mulch twice a year instead. I did not back down on my price nor was I going to mulch twice a year when their contract stated mulch once a year. Well to make a long story short they told me that they where going with the other company because they would mulching twice a year for the same price. The properties would need alot of mulch. It is hard to believe that they would let me go and not know the quality of work or how reliable the other lco is. They own to sucessful business and always travel the world. New motorcycles , new cars ect. But they lost me over one more mulch per year. I cant see doing it for free when they are not affarid to spend money else where. What do you guys think of this?
  2. AndyTblc

AndyTblc LawnSite Fanatic

I think a fancy house would look good with fresh mulch a few times a year, but it seems like a waste. It sounds like these people aren't "brand loyal" Who knows, they may want you back next year.
  3. razor1

razor1 LawnSite Bronze Member

It sucks but it happens to the best of us....you may get them back sooner then you think. Keep after them.
  4. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

Never take 'em for granted. Good for you for sticking to your price, but you can never be too sure they'll be 100% loyal to ya. It's unfortunate they moved on, but it happens in this business, just gotta be strong and move on. Keep them on your radar should they decide to call you down the road.
  5. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Yep, has happened to me several time. The client brags on your work and then BAM gets someone cheaper. I have actually lost clients over 5 lousy dollars. In this biz there is NO loyalty. I have gotten a few of them back after they see what job the new lco did. Face it, its all about the mighty dollar and as one member on here used to say "the customer ain't your friend".
  6. coolluv

coolluv LawnSite Gold Member
    from Atlanta

How many yards of mulch are we talking here?

7. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry to hear that. Commercial accounts generally aren't loyal, no matter who you work with and how well you know them. Other guy bids $1/cut less for ex, your gone.

I lost a townhome complex right across the street from MY HOME last season in a similar manner. To a guy who doesn't trim and puts down 3-way without a license (proven).
  8. hornett22

hornett22 LawnSite Senior Member

I agree,you ,may get it back.they are probably going to be mowed by illegals.

My budd lost a lawn in a golf course community here over $3 a cut. Again,a lot of Democrats here.

Before you ask,it has a lot to do with it.Don't start whining about it.
  9. jvanvliet

jvanvliet LawnSite Gold Member

The other guy will propably spread less than half the mulch very thin to make up the spread.
  10. clean_cut

clean_cut LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry to hear it man, but they may turn back to you once they see how good of a job you do.