1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lost it today on a employee

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RICHIE K, Apr 28, 2005.

RICHIE K LawnSite Senior Member

I have this kid (18 ) dropped out of high school, he is my brother inlaw's best friends kid. Good kid works ok, but lately every 5 f@#kin minuts he's two waying (nextel) his girlfriend , tool in one hand phone in the other. I told him to chill out with the phone. I guess im old school when its time to work its time to work. So today again he yapin on the phone, I then grabb the phone from him and smash it into a million pieces and sent him home. I mean what the f%#k myself and every one else are busting our ass while he is talking :realmad: Do you think i was wrong ? As im typing this his pop just called and thanked me. ;)

Richie k

www.kulakandcompany.com :angry:
  2. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

Like you, I don't allow my employees to talk on the phone while working. To be honest with you though I've never had a problem, it kinda goes without saying. If they need to talk on the phone they can do it between stops. I think your were right about getting angry, sometimes anger gets the point accross better. Where you went wrong is breaking his phone. I wouldn't want to have to buy him another phone (which you would be liable to do if he pushes it), I think I would have probably fired him before I broke his phone.
  3. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

Smashing the phone was unnecessary. Fireing him is your call , no point in keeping him around if hes not working
  4. pcnservices

pcnservices LawnSite Senior Member

I can understand your frustration! I would've been pissed off as well - but, I guess jumping on his cell phone would'nt have done you any good.
    Kids, today, don't share the same work ethics than we do. It is our responsibility to train/educate them to best fit/promote our business. He is working in my business to make money for me and if I dont train/educate/motivate this worker, he'll be worth **** to my business.
    Maybe you should start to train/educate this kid to be a valuable asset to your business.
    Good Luck

RICHIE K LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with you pcn How about his dad thanking me hey his dad said to be stick with him, lets just say he is a problem child. I run a very tight shift and have alot of rules. It's my way or the highway

Richie K

www.kulakandcompany.com :blob3:
  6. pagefault

pagefault LawnSite Senior Member

I would have let him finish the day and when he was still there at the end, I would just look at him like he was crazy and say "Why are you still here?" When he responded that he's working or whatever the hell he says, I'd say "No. No, no, no. I thought you understood. I fired you five hours ago. You must not have heard me because you were on the phone with your freaking girlfriend."

I like the phone smashing too, though. I used to work with a guy who was always instant-messaging his sweetie during meetings. Man that would get me going. I'd always call him on it and he'd get all bent out of shape and insist that I was wrong. Whatever dude, why don't you tell me what Emily just said 30 seconds ago? I always wanted to smash his laptop.

People are just stupid, inconsiderate and lazy.
  7. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

And those are the better / bright ones.
  8. wissel_landscaping

wissel_landscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

smashing the phone was unnecessary, man back when i was 18 if someone were to do that to me i would be out of a job for sure because one of us would have gotten knocked out. i would have told him he wasnt working out and i wouldnt be needing him anymore, yelling and breaking his phone just shows total disrespect. any guy i had work for me i showed respect i am not better than him because i am the owner and he is the employee.
  9. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

Damaging an employees personal property is pretty unprofessional. If you broke my phone we would have fought. Sounds like you need to relax.
  10. Todd's lawncare

Todd's lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from P.A

I bet the costumer loved that . If they were there . I brake a cell phone 2 to 3 times a year . But if you did it i would have knocked your a** out .. And smashed you trimmer