lost long time cust.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jammin, Apr 20, 2001.

1. well ever loose a customer you did not want but could notquit on your own. Finally,she called and said she got the new guy on the block.I gave this guy twenty refferals last year to get him started,i was booked up.Now he is all over my turf.Oh well the same day signed two bigger better jobs,closer to route with complete landscape renovation work. Funny how things workout.Bad spring here near cleveland,havent finished full mowing routes yet.

2. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

"ever loose a customer you did not want but could notquit on your own"

Men and Women alike, when starting this business, besides a mower, a hefty set of 'nads should be required equipment.

Dont want that customer, hold your head high, ring the bell, and tell em its time they found somebody else cuz youve had enough.

3. The reason to quit was all local customers in that route were elderly and the all went to retirement homes. She was the last one.We went out of route for two years and when i tried to drop her i thought she would die wow.Got to see about getting bigger knads ,oh well its hard to deal with a 90 year old widow.

4. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

jammin don't worry about it, you picked up 2 more accounts the same day, bigger and better with more money most likely. but the fact is that sometimes you do have to drop someone, i have in the past and it isn't very easy. good luck to you with this it will be hard at 1st.

5. Grapevine

Grapevine LawnSite Member

I had a customer for 10 years who finally went with somebody else. He was very demanding and called constantly about one thing or another. Pruned his bushes a minimum of 4 times a year, had to be the first one on the street to have mulch,
    etc... When we were done, his place looked like like Fenway
    Park. I finally told him he needed to find someone else to
    take care of his place. It is definitely a huge weight off my shoulders, and we do half of his neighbors anyway. This guy was always telling me that his house was worth a million dollars, he had a 4 car garage with 3 Mercedes and a Jaguar.
    He was a dick and he won't be missed.

6. Henry

Henry LawnSite Senior Member

I lost 2 customers that are next door to each other this year. I've worked for them for 9 yrs and my father did them for about 20 before me.

The one always gave me the line about how I should give him a break because he recommended me to so many others. The problem was that he was talking about recommending my father to his friends 20 yrs ago. They're all either dead or moved to Florida. The other guy had a stroke a few yrs back and now he doesn't remenber a lot of things. Like that the guys cut his lawn 5 times one month not 4, or that his bushes were trimmed. So I gotta spend 1/2 an hour going over his bill with him.

When I sent their renewals this year i raised their maintenance prices and they both decided to go with someone cheaper. When I went to collect for the last plowing the one guy started crying when I said goodbye. They already had clean ups done and I noticed the new cheaper service they hired left a nice soda bottle full of urine in the bushes at one house. Do you think that could explode in the heat?

7. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

"They already had clean ups done and I noticed the new cheaper service they hired left a nice soda bottle full of urine in the bushes at one house. Do you think that could explode in the heat?"

I doubt it would explode but if some guy hits it with the mower it will smell worse than the dead squirrel I ran over last week, peeee-yew