1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lost my brake lights

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by SpartanBill, Aug 27, 2007.

1. SpartanBill

SpartanBill LawnSite Member

'00 Ram 2500-- My brake lights went out the other day, all other lights still working (4-ways,turn sig., & running). Doesn't appear to be a fuse prob. and I already replaced the brake light switch. Anybody have any suggestions on where to look. I hate trouble shooting auto/electrical problems.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions
  2. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

bulbs...and its a dodge so what ya expect? :laugh: Kiddin, seriously check bulbs, then the sockets. go down the line.
  3. mowingguy

mowingguy Guest

Spartan, mine did this often. Check the ground. I ended up putting a new ground on each and have had no issues since. -SL
  4. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

i have the same truck and had the same problem, just lay under it and reach up to the taillights and unplug them then pull them down and with a tester probe just push threw the insulation and see if it has current on the one or both sides of the connector, i just cut the connector out and crimped them together
  5. SpartanBill

Thanks for the suggestions, I prolly should have checked the bulbs before I posted, if for no other reason than throughness and to eliminate from the list of suspects. I fig. since both went out at the same time AND the bright (4-ways) and dim (park lights) worked that it was brake system related.

I just hit it with my test light, as per Brian and all is good from the Ground-to-Major and Ground-to-Minor wires as marked on bulb socket. Also I tested the bulbs 2 seperate filiments both good.

MowingGuy, how far back from the socket did you go with the new ground?

Thanks again,
  6. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

bad or loose ground
  7. SpartanBill

Well thanks for all the help. It ended being a fuse I over looked, in the power distribution box labeled "stop lamp", leave it to an engineer to label "brake light" as "stop lamp". I should have been more through in my search for the "brake light" fuse. Again, thanks. I posted this problem 1/2 hr. earlier on a dodge truck forum and have only gotten 1 response as of post time. Now I know where to find all the drivers that use their trucks to make money.

p.s. How do I get my back doors open?? see next post........
  8. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

Rob a liquor store and spend some time in jail
  9. SpartanBill

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

But seriously, both of the back doors on my crew cab won't open, bottom latch is seized or bound somehow. Things would be alot eaiser if I could get the F@*KIN' door open. We had other 2 company trucks, 2500 Dodge and F350 with 1 stuck door. Any Ideas?

10. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Some days I really wanna buy a Dodge just for the Cummins diesel but then I hear stories of how you can't get doors to open on an '00 Ram and I just want to overlook Dodge completely. That sucks, I'm sorry, but that would absolutely piss me off.