lost my first account to a lowballer

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by richmadmax, Apr 14, 2005.

1. richmadmax

richmadmax LawnSite Member

My neighbor last year had this guy how did her lawn for $40.00 last year. Over the winter she said that she would like to see me doing her lawn this year. She loved the way i keep my lawn looking ( one of the best looking in my neighborhood). So i gave her a price of $30.00 beacuse she my neighbor. Well last week a low baller under price me by 5 dollars and she took it. I asked if he had insurance and she said no, why would he need it. Well I told her why and i had insurance and i would not go below $30.00. Then told her best luck, and hope he don't brake a window or something else. I sure this happen to others.

2. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

What do you suppose the guy you got the lawn from thought?

3. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

dont sweat it. I cant stand those kinda people. Theres plenty of people who will like your work. I bid high, and as long as you do good work, you'll get it. The people you dont get you wouldnt want anyway because they wouldnt appericate your work, they just think your just some low life dropout.

But i also bid high on lawn care because I dont want to cut. I hate cutting, Im focusing more on landscaping, then secondly on getting more snow removal accounts and at the bottom of my list is grass. Theres no money in grass around here, but theres hella $ in landscaping and snow. Plus I hate cutting grass because its the same old crap over and over again, its crap money, and theres no skil involved becides striping, but that gets old after while.

4. genesis landscapes

genesis landscapes LawnSite Member

Mark if you think that is all it is about then pack it in , stick a fork in ya I think your done. At the age of 17 you have to learn of a job well done. There is nothing like the feeling of seeing your lawn looking sweeeeettttt after a fresh mow. Seeing your customer enjoying it on a Sunday afternoon maybe entertaining his or her friends. That is all the satisfaction you need. I bet you will find alot of people here that feels the same way. :angel: :cool2:

5. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

Oh I aggree, but cutting grass is still the same crap over and over again. And you dont really need to use your brain for it. I like to use my brain. Like with landscape work you use you head alot, with math, design, all that good stuff. Plus the customer has alot more respect for landscapers than people who cut grass, because lets face it, the stereotype for grass cutters is not that good. but still, I dont like to cut grass unless the customer appericates my work, plus its not worth my time to go cut a lawn for like $35 for an halfhour when I can landscape and make tripple that an hour and have more fun doing it.

I used to enjoy cutting grass, but once this winter rolled around and I realised I made 3x the amount in half the time doing snow, I realised how much cutting grass was a waste of my time. And then once spring rolled around and I got my flyers passed out (3000), and I got some landscape jobs (patio work and driveway extension), and I realised I can PROFIT $150 an hour doing landscape work, and why cut lawns and only profit like $50 an hour when I can get landscaping jobs. I have about 30 estamites out for landscape work right now, and thats only in these past 2-3 weeks. Its just not worth my time, hassle, and sense 75% of the customers done appericate your work with grass, I realised grass cutting sucks ba!!s. However, im still going to cut my high end customers and the ones that pay good. Plus that way I can get my name exposed more. but when ever I have to bid a lawn cut job I just bid high and tell them, if they want quality they will hire me, some do and some dont and rather hire little johnny for $10.

No If I had like 200 accounts and only got like 25 that'd be a different story, because if that was the case I'd just hire 2 people and use my spare truck and have em cut em 4-5 days a week. but then I have to deal with the hassles of managing them.

6. richmadmax

Well i do you what the said, crap ...
    He was a scab, no insurance no license, no nothing. a f*** scab....... IF he wasn't i would have never talk to the neighbor... I have plenty.....

7. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry to hear about that. Those type of guys are all over the place here. The only thing I can recommend is keep doing good work. I will give anyone a second chance to come back, after that I would not even bother. Keep your lawn looking great and hopefully she will come back

8. richmadmax

Thanks marko
    Yes it happen to everybody. oh well. Well you loss some you gain some. Life goes on. She will get what she pays for. as of today they have not cut and her grass looks like crap. Mine still looking great. Best to luck to all.

9. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

"Some will, some won't, so what." This should become your mantra. If they're cheap, they get what they pay for. Never lower your standards. There are many people here that have posted that customers come crwling back after switching to a lowballer only to discover that it was a really bad move. Don't worry about it.