lost my first customer, due to weed control results.

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by inzane, May 18, 2013.

1. macgyver_GA

macgyver_GA LawnSite Senior Member

There's also a lot of impatient people who expect results over night. That's one thing I really try to stress to my customer's is that all of the applications work together and a weed ridden lawn can't be solved in one application.

2. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

A lawn that has to be broadcasted for broadleaves at any time of the year will have Gallery or Dismiss added to the tank. Either of those products make good preemergents against broadleaf weeds. I do not know whether you did this application over warm season or cool season grasses so I left out simazine or Image as additional preemergents effective against broadleaves.

3. inzane

inzane LawnSite Silver Member

I applied Resolute 4fl + Three Way out of my skid sprayer, and then spread 24-2-11. I have a feeling that he may have had some poa that i didn't see, since the lawn looked like it had been mowed recently, and he was probably expecting that to go bye bye. I've always waited for it to die out rather than put more chemicals on the lawn to kill something that isn't gonna be there in a month or so anyways. Honestly, i didn't see much gong on in the lawn weed wise, so there had to be some kinda misunderstanding, perhaps pigweed/fireweed breakthrough with the fert and all the rain.. the customer is unwilling to walk the property with me, so i really have no clue what the issue really is.

I'm willing to work with any customer to get the results they want to see, but mabee he will have better luck with the next company. perhaps they will be in the right place at the right time and they might get to do 3 apps before he cancels this time. His excuse for calling and going with me was the other company before applied in the wind, and he said that none of the products hit his lawn... and he had a dispute about paying the bill with them because the tech insisted it wasn't windy. I should have known this was gonna be a hassle. He paid me without a problem, so gonna move right along :).

I attached pics of this property, these were taken right after the app. I was gonna post the pics to ask how a ride on would work on a hilly lawn like this? lol. i felt like at first this was an easy property to pick up.. I'm used to starting lawns that have been neglected, i believe his last service was doing a fine job. Theres not a whole lot good i'd say about the mowing however, but i think he's mowing it with a lawn tractor.. went by the other day and it was hacked all to hell again.

CAM00021.jpg

4. inzane

inzane LawnSite Silver Member

this is top of hill. most of the lawn was fairly clean, but scalped a bit on the mowing.

CAM00022.jpg

5. greendoctor

Prodiamine is not a good broadleaf preemergent. How big is this lawn such that the HO is cutting it with a garden tractor? What an ugly cut. I have mentioned in other posts that a lawn too big to be mowed with a walk behind reel is preferably mowed with a 3 reel gang mower towed behind a garden tractor. That

6. macgyver_GA

Homeowners mowing with a lawn/garden tractor is pretty common practice around here unfortunately :laugh:

7. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

You need to include Simazine in your early spring mix. Overall, Prodiamine sucks as a pre for many broadleaves. The Simazine will give the 3 way a boost for post and also help pre emerge(for a short while) some of the weeds Prodiamine doesn't do so great on.

I used to let customers like that bother me when I was smaller and by myself. We have enough now that the one or two a year that do something like that I just let go. My customer retention rate from year to year is 98%.

F'em, feed'em fish heads. That's what I mumble to myself these days and then I just go on...

8. greendoctor

My one customer with a 1/2 acre of bermuda got a 3 reel gang. He was pizzed because the gang reel costed less than the POS garden tractor towing it.

9. greendoctor

Simazine + 2,4-D is what I call the corn farmer's mix. I say that with a lot of respect. Before simazine fell under special restrictions in Hawaii, that would be one of the products I would use on the dirty lawns with Heaven knows germinating and seeding in it. Big difference in control VS trying to control things with Three Way, spot sprayed at that. If the weeds were bad, 2 lb per acre of 90DF helped a lot. Now, I use a lot of metsulfuron for the residual effect on germinating weeds.

10. macgyver_GA

:laugh: nice! One day when I have a larger property, that's what I'd like to do. That or buy a used Triplex toro or JD fairway mower.