1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lost my first customer today

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by tamo, Apr 7, 2007.

1. tamo

tamo LawnSite Member

Had a customer email me today telling me my services are no longer needed. I asked him why. He was pissed that I mowed around a pile of dog crap. I would've picked it up, but I was just mowing that day and didn't bring a shovel. Last week on my first mow I told him that the dog crap needed to be cleaned up on Fridays in preparation for my mowing. I took care to trim around the poop with my weedy, but didn't mow over it.

We also agreed that I would do his bed maintenace. I'm busy as hell right now so I planned to get to his beds next week. He never asked to have them done by a certain day. He said he was surprised they weren't done yet.

This house is a pretty good account, close to my house and he wants mulching ect.. done. This is my first year, but I've already picked up 25 mowing accounts and counting.

do you think I should try to patch it up with this guy or let it go? How do you guys deal with dog crap

2. cutterschoice24

cutterschoice24 LawnSite Member
    from Fl

Hey man just thought i would respond to your message about the dogcrap sounds like to me that this person is going to be a pita and your never going to please him I have owned my compnay for 5 years and there is now way i would ever pick dog crap up and I can't think of anybody i know here in Fl that would do it thats rediclous so if it was me I was just say nice doing busniess with you just to keep it proofesioinal and move on with the other accts you said you picked up just my opnion.Matt
  3. tamo

tamo LawnSite Member

in hindsight I was starting to think that I should have dealt with the dog crap.

If a customer leaves it in the backyard do any of you just mow over it? Mind you this pile was fresh and was lying right on top of the grass. I've mowed over some older crap that was deeper into the lawn, but this time I just didn't want to do it. Funny though, after I left I had a feeling the guy would be pissed

4. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybe you shoulda' pointed the mower discharge right at the house. I'm sure it would look good splattered all over the siding! Theres more than one reason not to mow over fresh $hit, other than just getting it on your tires! And once you're done mowing, make sure to drive all the way down his black top driveway, splat, splat, splat, every time the wheels go 'round! Looks great when its cooked on there a few days!!
  5. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I don't do anything other than forget about it and mow over it. I ask that dog crap be cleaned up as close to the day I will be servicing their lawn, but it's not manditory. I do tell them though that if I find a pile anywhere close to an area I have to trim (next to the fence line, sidewalk) then that area will in no way, shape or form be trimmed as I am not going to take the chance on kicking up dog crap and getting it all over me. I just mow over whatever I find and go about my day.
  6. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

If it makes you feel any better I lost 5 today. But on dog crap I just mow over it, no big deal to me and I have some that have plenty of sh*t.
  7. howardsells2000

howardsells2000 LawnSite Senior Member

I think it hurts all of us when we loose an account but another will come along to take it's place. It seems if I loose one I usually get another almost right away. As far as dog crap, I just mow over it.
  8. M&SLawnCare

M&SLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I Just mow over it. However I try to be carefull not to run it over with the tires. The smell from the blades hitting it wont stay on the mower for long, but if a tire hits it you'll smell it for the next few jobs.
  9. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Dont worry about it, the guy did not have "what I call" a good reason to dump u. Customer loyalty is something I appreciate but not all customers have. I feel real fortunate that so many of my customers have been with me for many years, but Ive had several (here today, gone tomorrow) customers as well.
  10. Midwest Lawn Services

Midwest Lawn Services LawnSite Member

In the growing green industry, Quality and Opinions are everything. Ask yourself, what has that client done for your business? Have they brought you new clients? Are they easy to work with? Do they give you frequent problems or are they what I call "easy money"? Only you can decide what to do about this one. You are the only one that knows all of the history!