Lost my first customer

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by okiegnome, Jun 11, 2013.

1. okiegnome

okiegnome LawnSite Member

I have been mowing grass for people for probably about four years, last year was when I decided to actually create a name and all that instead of just mowing for people I know, we'll I picked up a yard here recently and I cut it a total of three times, the second time she came out and told me she wants it shorter than it was the time before, I said okay and asked if she wanted it bagged up, she didn't want to pay extra to have it bagged so I mulche it up, it left quite a bit of clippings on the ground so after I edged and trimmed, I blew off the sidewalks and then blew the yard to get rid of clumps. I did the front and back.then went over the sidewalks again. Today I went to cut it and nobody was home so I cut as she had told me before, I did everything and blew it off. She called me later on telling me he had canceled me because she said I left grass everywhere like the sidewalks and grass clippings all over the yard. I told her there were grass clippings on the yard because you didn't want to have it bagged. I then told her there wasn't any grass on the sidewalks because I went over it twice because some ended back on the Sidewalk. She told me she didn't want me mowing her yard anymore because she supposedly had to hire someone else to clean up my mess, I told her I was sorry to here that and I wasn't even notified about this to fix it. She then hung up on me
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Sprinkler Buddy

Sprinkler Buddy LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Count your blessings! That's not the kind of customer you want.

3. georgialawn88

georgialawn88 LawnSite Bronze Member

see ya bit**!!!

4. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

Bingo. Someone needs a visit from the lawn ninja.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. okiegnome

okiegnome LawnSite Member

Haha thanks guys, it just really pisses me off because she made it sound like I did a bad job when she's the idiot who wants there yard scalped in the height of growing season and is too cheap to pay for bagging
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Horizon Jay

Horizon Jay LawnSite Member

I had 2 similar ones this year as well. Not worth the time and effort to try and please the unpleasable. Dont sweat it! Just feel sorry for the new guy!

7. TenderCareLawnService

TenderCareLawnService LawnSite Member

The way I explain it best to our crew is that the customer is not a "right fit" for our company. Don't beat yourself up because your way better off without customers like that. Replace that slot with another one.

8. grassmonkey0311

grassmonkey0311 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MD/NC

Don't feel bad, I had almost the same exact thing happen to me last month.

Customers like that are not worth it. Move on and forget about her.

9. easy-lift guy

easy-lift guy LawnSite Gold Member

Actually you did not lose your first customer, you were fired. May or may not have had anything to do with the services rendered. Based on the OP. there was nothing more you could have done to make this customer want to retain your services. In time you will learn that what has happen is not unusual. Customers are like trees, some are easier to train than others. If she contacts you in the future for work, tell her your schedule is full.
    Remember that if this customer has any friends that require your services, avoid them as well. Customers like
    the one you had tend to network with like minded people.
    easy-lift guy

10. Caddyshack Lawn Care

Caddyshack Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

But first and foremost, keep in mind that even though there are customers that you don't want....they still need to be treated with respect. It sounds like you did pretty well here on your part. Don't sweat it. We've all had people like that in the past.