1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lost my guy this weekend

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mikewhit1010, Jun 23, 2008.

1. mikewhit1010

mikewhit1010 LawnSite Senior Member

I know some of you big guys lose guys all the time. I know that is the nature of ths business. I have gone through a few guys but I spent a lot of time and money teaching this last one. To give you a quick run down here is my company. I run a one man truck with a 21" and 36" I normally have a lot of work for one person so I help out but I have a full time job. (How I wish I could go full time with Lawn Care). So my business depends on workers. Well this morning I got a 20 minute notice that he was quitting. The best part of having him on was he had brothers and cousins I could add to the crew at a moments notice. He was making more with me then the rest of his family combined. Not to mention I gave him a bonus and a raise last week. Guess that shows you can never really trust someone.

The worst part is I was trying to make a big push to grow my business so I could take his brother on full time too so I spent a lot on advertising. He says his brother wants to work but he is dodging my calls. I guess I need to cancel the cell phone I gave him. AHHHHH the headaches of this business.
  2. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

there are markets for all types of companies, but yours will have a bad rep if you lose your workers and dont show up. im guessing your behind?? thats what sets full timers apart from weekend warriors. we show up the same day every week unless it downpours our its a hurricane out. good luck
  3. mikewhit1010

Im not a weekend warrier. I had my business in place before my full time job. I had to take it on for the benifits and would love to be full time and will be in April of 09. I had triple knee surgery and am about to need a fourth. I have read your post you have been in business for a while. In 5 years I will be full time with mulitple crews.
  4. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Sorry to hear that. What was his reason for leaving?
  5. mikewhit1010

Trying to figure that out now. He had told me a week ago that I was a great boss and he told me this today too but he quit through text message. AHHhhh at least he contacted me but I wish he would have given me notice. I think I will start holding pay one week so if it does happen they are forced to come see me and explain what the deal is. It starts to eat at you when you dont know what went wrong. Also he still has my cell phone and shirts so that will be a cost I have to eat. I will keep you guys posted but this is going to be a big hit for me. I just got off the phone with a couple of clients and he destroyed their lawns on friday.
  6. RyKR

RyKR LawnSite Member

That could be the reason that he quit without notice.
  7. PORTER 05

PORTER 05 LawnSite Senior Member

ohhh i love employees!!!
  8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yup :laugh:

Thou actually I suspect that part was more of an end result, too.
    If I ever work for a small business owner that fool best be out there in the heat slaving right beside me, lol.
  9. k911lowe

k911lowe LawnSite Senior Member

the best guys always go into business for themselves and the mediocre s seem to last forever.not a rule,just seems like most of the time.good workers follow the money.
  10. b121774

b121774 LawnSite Member

ALWAYS hold back(at least a week) on pay to get back uniforms, clipper's, phones, etc. They will always call back to get their $.