1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lost my largest account....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tiedeman, Nov 23, 2003.

1. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I lost my largest account from this year for the 2004 season just because of price!!!!

I am so upset about this. We went out of our way for this guy and still he goes back to the price. He was our number one priority customer.

Sorry guys, just had to vent
  2. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Was it a Condo??? Same thing happened to me this spring at a condo. They usually compromise quality for price, reall steams me. :realmad: :realmad:
  3. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

He may come begging back if the service isn't what he expected. Hate to hear the bad news though.
  4. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

Next time you make those lines just that bit straighter to make it look "pretty" think again. Better off with a 12ft deck and one mexican.
  5. greensideup

greensideup LawnSite Member

I always look at it like, if they are shopping for price, I'm not the company they want. I've told that to prospective customers many times. Half the time I end up getting the job. Sorry to hear about your losing the account- I hate that in the off months. You will hopefully be able to replace it with a better account. Good luck- SCOTT
  6. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

That stinks! however at one time you also took that account from somebody also. I am sure if you have had him awhile he will call you back becasue they are so used to your service. When one door shuts another opens!
  7. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

These big accounts amaze me when they do this, I lost a very good account a few months ago I had for 9 months, I did everything on this 5 acre property, mow, trim, edge, spray lawn grub, weeds, irrigate, fix sprinklers, fertilise, clean etc, to one day I get a hand written letter in the mail, they didn't need my services anymore due to finances....hmmm, one of the biggest, newest homes in the town, in a very expensive area, just moved from England to Australia so 1 of their dollars bought 7 of ours, these folks are rich as! A retired scrubber is mowing this lawn with a cheap ol' domestic rider, I imagine no other services....

Afew weeks ago I quoted a job near them, I saw what makes scrubs, scrubs very clearly here, lets say, they are paying for what they are getting....but I don't think too many would eat their pride and call you to start again, they get used to low fees and scrub work, it is all about money, not quality, a lot of folk don't know quality from not, as long as the grass is cut and paths are tidy thats all they care about.

But, as luck goes, yes they are usually replaced...

8. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Sorry to hear that tiedeman.

Its bad when people let their wallet make decisions for them.

I live where tightwads are common. And I have learned alot the hard way. I now take the same approach that "greensideup" takes. I can't compete with there price but they can't compete with my service. I let them know up front that I'm not gonna be the cheapest.

They will be a better around the corner.
  9. TurfGuyTX

TurfGuyTX LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

Sorry to hear it. Hopefully some nicer accounts will take his place.
  10. Terrell56

Terrell56 LawnSite Member

What percent of your business did this client account for?

What is a good rule of thumb to prevent puting all your eggs in one basket?

I have a commercial client who has through expansion represented over 25% of my sales.

The bad part is I could lose 25% of my company overnight if 'something' happened.

I'm well aware of this predictament I'm in, and I just try my best to protect what I have but other than that, what I try to do is continually try to keep pace by adding enough new sales to maintain any one client representing more than a 20% margin.

Am I overworried about this?