Lost my rear on the first one....

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by jdwilliams1, Mar 23, 2007.

1. jdwilliams1

jdwilliams1 LawnSite Member

I think I have under quoted on my first opportunity. Been quoting landscaping, mowing and about every other service in lawn care since 1988 and I have sold that part of my company and going strictly application and I think I goofed on the first

6,600 sf

$38 per app, 5 step program

This includes pre and post, and followup spot spray on last 3 visits and grub with my 3rd app.

I know I will learn as I go an buy my product better as well but I think I gave this away. I am mainly in Northern Indianapolis.

Any advice, I know markets vary and all that but advice is always good.

Thanks

2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

JD

I don't know your market or COST but My minim for much less area is twice your bid. I really don't see how you can drive to the house which equipment and overhead let alone apply anything at those prices.

I wouldn't even try to up sell such a low price. I would simple tell the customer you can't provide services at this time and walk. If you gave them a contract, you will just have to bite the bullet or find someway to get out of it. I find it hard to believe a man in business for almost 20 years doesn't know his costs. By bidding on cost plus you never lose a bid, you don't get every bid but you don't lose money on a bid like this one and therefore are a bid winner.

As far as going solo Fert & Squirt after having a full service company, I did. I make less gross but keep a much higher percentage of the gross with a lot less headache.

3. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

I would deffinitely keep grub apps. seperate. Same with fungicides or insecticides.Are you charging by the square foot or what? I wouldn't sweat it to much thats how we learn through our errors. Good luck in the future.
    -Jay

4. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I don't know.... you're a little low, but probably didn't lose your rear.

Well, wait, now that I think while I type.

Here's how I price mine out.

I'm at $4 / 1000 per round.

A round for me, is each time I cover the property.

A trip to do fertilizing and a blanket app of broadleaf is 2 rounds or $8 / 1000.

My agreements are fertilizing before May 15th, once before June 30th, once before September 15th, then a winterizer before October 15th. 4 rounds.

Pre-emergent before temperature deems such, then broadleaf before June 30th and once again before September 30th. 3 more rounds.

For your 6600 sq ft, I'd be at $27 / round, but I'd round it up to $30 to cover the sales tax as well. However, this is for my full service clients. If it were an outside client, strictly apps, then it's a $50 minimum / round.

5. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

i get $10 per k + $20 stop charge up to 20k then i charge $30 stop charge up to and acre. my apps are mostly liquid. now on larger properties that i use my PG on, i charge different, due to less labor, but then you figure in mechine maintenance. i get $150-$200 + per acre on the lawns that people care about and want green, and i will do liquid apps on them.

6. profigala

profigala LawnSite Member

thats not bad except for the grub.

we're around 40 per app and it would be an additional 45 for the grub app. so all in all you did not lose your rear.

7. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

$120 for a 10,000 square foot lawn? Thats great, but I can't get near that in my area.

$60 for 10k average lawn 6 step program

insect, fungus, aeration, overseeding seperate

8. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

Ii have a 2,196 sq. ft lawn that i get $40 for thats around $18 p/k, that would be $180 for a 10k house. For the record i would never be able to get that around here, to much competition. Today i was explaining to a customer how $60 for his 10k property was not to much. $5.90 p/k.He's been a cust. for a long time and totaly understood. Weird how that works.

9. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Did you say you were including the grub control for free? A bag of Merit costs about $75. This could be an expensive lesson. But maybe you can claim you forgot about the grubs--or maybe they don't need grub control at all.

10. A.T.A.K

A.T.A.K LawnSite Senior Member

We are getting $14.00 per thousand here. I know people will pay it we have close to 3,000 clients. It can be sold just depends on the sales man and tech. With this type of money you cannot spend 20 minutes on the property. If they feel they are getting their moneys worth they will keep paying.