lost my trailer gate today

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by justanotherlawnguy, Jun 10, 2005.

1. justanotherlawnguy

justanotherlawnguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I about s%$t in my pants when I got to a job site and there was no gate on my trailer. :realmad: I was like WTF!!! are you kidding me!!!!!!!!!!!

The previous job site was about 3 miles away, and the drive was in 5 o'clock traffic so there was no way it could have came off.

FYI, it is a Triple Crown 6.5 x 16 with removable gate. When the gate is not shut, all you have to do is slide it to the left and it comes off. I do it all the time at this particular nursery where they dont have the long forks for the loader. Me and another guy just lower the gate and slide it off, it takes about 2 seconds..

Back to my story. All I could thing about was back tracking and seeing some accident as a result of my missing gate. Now I wouldnt have been so concerned except my tag was on the gate. I back track all the way to the previous site and still no gate. SO now I am getting pissed, I went around the block, just like I did when I left the job site and sure as **** there it is laying in the last turn, the last place it could have been.

Apparently I had failed to raise the gate when i finished that job and then drove around the block with the gate down, and during the 3rd turn thats when the gate came off.

Now the real scary part is "What if" my 48 Lazer HP had come off, I would have been up the creek. I drove 3 miles with my Z twelve inches from the edge of the trailer not strapped down.

What a relief everything was fine
  2. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

The gate dropped and came off the hinges....got a welder to fix the hinge just like on a door. With a single round bar that is secured with a pin that can be removed to slide the round bar out in order to take the gate off. Made gate latches out of re bar bent at a 90 degree angel and welded a length of chain to it and the trailer frame so I wouldn't loose them too.

Maybe you should do a preflight before driving away...
  3. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

i'm waiting till the day when drive around with the door on my enclosed trailer down.
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

How you could have driven without hearing it, hehehe... :)

But to fix the problem, I have a 6x12 and same type of gate - slide to right and off it comes. Since I work solo, when the gate comes off - You ain't getting it back on by yourself and it really sucked for a while.

One day, I came up with the solution:
    Drill a hole (2 is better) near the hinges. It has to be about a 3/8" hole or so and it is tricky cauz of location. You want this hole to be NEAR the hinge and you will have to study it first to determine which SIDE of the hinge.
    Once you get the hole right, you stick a bolt + nut through it in such a fashion that it prevents the trailer gate from sliding as the nut/bolt hits the hinge (yes the hole goes in the gate, along the bottom).

If you want, I'll take a pic.
  5. northwest lawn

northwest lawn LawnSite Member

today while driving down the expressway i noticed in my driver side mirror that the gate had moved over to the left three inches when we pulled up to the first account we got out and the gate cam off the pins at the bottom luckily the latches up top held it in place
  6. The Captain

The Captain LawnSite Senior Member

Had the same thing happen as topsites. I drilled a small hole 1/8'-3/16" maybe and put a plain old cotter pin thru it. Cheap and easy. Gate still comes off, but only when I want it to.

7. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

Please take a pic. I am having problems w/ my gate sliding over as I open/close it. Then when I go to close it and it has slid over, It doesn't match up in the slots correctly and doesn't close...
  8. northwest lawn

northwest lawn LawnSite Member

i had a cotter in my well it must of sheered off
  9. Todd's lawncare

Todd's lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from P.A

not a gate on a trailer but i was following my brother after taking scrap in and he has an E-Z-Dumper and the gate came off and was held on by the chain it was flying all over throwing sparks and everything would have sucked if it came off and hit me or another car
  10. The Captain

The Captain LawnSite Senior Member

I'll try to get one. I've never posted a pic before. This should be good for some laughs.....