1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lost on what size of tank i should get.

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Pro-Lawn, Nov 5, 2001.

1. Pro-Lawn

Pro-Lawn LawnSite Member

Ive been pricing all kinds and sizes of skid mount sprayers to get. There pretty pricy. Im only getting stated in spraying but ive got several accounts lined up . Mainly residential, but i have a few 10acre and 15 acre properties to cover , should i go ahead and splurge the extra and get a decent size one or should i just get a small one to get me by till the spraying Biz for me really picks up. I really need input from someone whos been doing this for a while. Cause im totally cornfuzed. Help if you can.
    Eric Goodwin

MATTHEW LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE OHIO

I absolutely would not get a small tank to start. With big properties, though, you should get a permagreen (if you don't already have one) I have a 200 gal tank, and spray at 1G/1000 sq. feet. 200,000 square feet a day is enough for me in one day. 100 gals is not enough and 300 will really put the truck under pressure when you add 1-2,000 lbs of fert also. (unless you have a 1 ton flatbed)
  3. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

I have been spraying for some time now and have had many different set ups over the years. The set up that I like the best is a drop tank with three mixing tanks each with there own pump and hose reel. 1 Lawns 2. ornamental 3. herbicide The advantage of a drop tank is you can mix for each yards condition preventive or curative. This also a money saver on chem cost and allows you to use IPM. I use hondas and hypro pumps Power hose reels are a must if you don't want your arm to fall off.

As a good starter set I would try a trailer set up. To keep expense down I would use an electric pump on a hundren gallon tank. Hypro makes chem resistance pumps starting at 1.2 up to 7 gpm. I would use the 7 gpm and have a return line to mix the tank all the time and use a pressure reg to keep pressure to the hose. I would also buy a 25 gal or smaller spot sprayer for the specical mix jobs. You can alway stick a 200 gallon water tank in the back of your truck and drop to the trailer tank. Then take the empy water only poly tank out when you are not using it. Also have a battery on the trailer that can be pluged into the truck so it is charged while you drive. Trailer have dis advantages when it come to tight areas. Covered trailer can be great to keep things out of the weather.

I like your website. May I steal some of your Ideas?
  4. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

What are you going to use the tank for? Liquid fert, weeds only, ornamentals???
  5. lawnboy53

lawnboy53 LawnSite Member
    from Neb

Eric, Make sure you check your local laws before your purchase. We have laws that require operators to have containment systems for tanks over 100 gallons and also fill site containment systems at your shop if filling over 100 gallons at a time. A small pull behind sprayer might work better on your large properties. I have a Lesco 100 gallon sprayer, but for my larger properties i use a 35 gallon electric sprayer mounted on my front mower. No damn hose to drag around.