Lost one of my best lawns

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Eho, Apr 14, 2005.

1. Eho

Eho LawnSite Member

I lost a very good customer today...a couple in their mid 30s who pay $30 per week for a easy,little lawn. Great people, very nice, but he is quitting his job and starting his own company so they need to cut back a little. She seemed sad when she delivered the news to me. They are such nice people that I m considering mowing one more time for them for free and giving them a thank you note for being a good customer for three years. Yalls thoughts? Anybody ever do something like this? Turned out OK cuz I lost that one today but picked up a new one. A guy cancelled his current service and got me b/c he said that the lawn I mowed looked GREAT.
    EHO

2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Oh yes. Very good business practice. I get a lot of hardship cancellations in advance of renewal times. Dang good customers. I always try to show my appreciation in some form or fashion. I try to do that so they are sure to just automatically call me when things improve and they want someone to do it again.

If this guy is sucessful at getting this business off the ground, this job will come back to you. He'll soon be too busy to be bothered with doing it himself.

3. ECS

ECS LawnSite Bronze Member

I think it is a great idea under the circumstances and believe that I would do the same thing.

4. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have had similar situations. I was able to barter with them (trade services for services) until their situation improved and they could resume paying me with money instead of services.

5. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 LawnSite Senior Member

i'd give them a free mowing

6. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

sure.

it can do nothing but good.

i would surely give them a "thank you"

7. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

I think it is a good idea. When he get back up on his feet, you will be cutting their lawn again.

8. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

No we would not give a free mowing. But if we liked them a lot, then we would send a simple thank you card thanking them for their business, and ask them to keep us in mind if they ever needed service again.
    I see a lot of people say they give away free mowings for this or for that... we give nothing away for free. I'm sure that sounds harsh to some, but "free" doesn't pay our bills.

9. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

WOW, Jodi, you are tough.

10. tinman

tinman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ga

I agree.... The thought of a farewell free mowing might cross my mind...but it would pass when reality set in.....bills, other jobs I could be doing, gas prices. Thank you note would be just as well remembered.

No Free Lunch!!