Lost one of our best/most prestigous accounts this year

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TMlawncare, Feb 27, 2005.

1. TMlawncare

TMlawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

10 years ago the Lco that was doing our county courthouse and jail got fired for too many years of shoddy work. Blowing clippings all over the courthouse, sidewalks and streets. Clumps of clippings all over the lawn. This lawn is right in the middle of town, very high traffic, gets five apps. of fert. per season. This year would be our 10 year servicing the account. We do full service on the property, and whatever it takes to make it look pristine (bagging, double cuts, striping, edging, extra spot spraying, etc.) About every other week we receive compliments from business around the courthouse square. Last week we learned we lost the account. We called up there to see if there was a problem with the service. They stated that they had people coming in every Monday commenting on how clean and beautiful the ground look. They got all new county commissioners in this year and and received a lower bid. The company that got the contract, is get this, the same Lco that got fired 10 years ago for doing crappy work.

On top of all this, the county just received an 800K grant to beautify the courthouse square. Can you believe that? No loyalty.

2. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

thats what i hear about commercil accounts. I have 99% res. and a 99.9% retention rate for years.

3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

that is the problem with county, township, city, and schools. There most of the time will always go with the lower bidder.

4. Smithers

Smithers LawnSite Silver Member

if i were you, i'd not worry about it too much...you will get it back next year, if he does crappy work. then, i'd quote a little higher, for the trouble.

5. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

After 21 years on this earth I realized when i graduated high school that the last generation that really had any loyalty to anything is dying off as we speak. I would be a hippocrite if I said I have never been disloyal about something. I try to be loyal to the people and things that I can help, but sometimes I can not. I think that is pretty much where the world is headed anyway. I never count on ay of my clients being loyal to me. It is nice when they shows signs that they are loyal to you, but I never count on it.

6. TMlawncare

TMlawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Sometimes its sad to think that we ( or maybe I) get a little emotional over some of these properties we have done for years. We always give a little extra to give it that "wow" factor. I guess when it comes right down to it, they don't really give a crap when its bidding time. Sorry this one has me down in the dumps.

7. twiggy

twiggy LawnSite Member

I had a three year contract with three commercial malls owned by the same company. I have been maintaining these same malls for the past four years with nothing but compliments and praise from the management. One month before we are to start up again I am notified that corporate is reconstructing and wants one contractor to take over all property maintenance in two states. Needless to say there is a 30 day written cancellation clause that lets them out of the contract I had. I think about all of the free time I put in and extras I did not charge for just to make the place look outstanding. Thing is it will cost the company twice as much to do it the way they want. It is sad that honor, integrity and common sense are in such short supply in business these days.

8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry to hear of this, but loyalty is becoming a thing of the past...especially with commercial accounts IMO.

9. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

totally agree with you on this one. That is why I prefer residential accounts compared to commerical. Commerical accounts are a hassle to me

10. Green lawns

Green lawns LawnSite Member

Boy that sure is to bad! Work your butt off and for what, at least you had it for a while. Try to replace it with higher end residential accounts thats what we are doing.

Good luck this season.