1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

lost one to a drunk with a broom

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by taylor edmonds, Apr 5, 2004.

1. taylor edmonds

taylor edmonds LawnSite Member

i had this customer that i had been blowing his parking lot off every week because the person he had hasnt showed in over a month got ready to blow it today was unloading my blower the customor was standing behind me this man comes walking up the street with a broom in his hand its the person who was taking care of it before me this person walks up smells like he has been working for budwiser all night needless to say the owner tells me to put my stuff back in the truck he is going to let him do it today i tell him fine if he does that dont bother with me again needless to say i was pi$$ed
  2. chevyman1

chevyman1 LawnSite Senior Member

that run on sentence leads me to believe the drunk might be you....just kidding man. Maybe someone needed a job really bad, be thankful you aren't that guy
  3. Four Season's

Four Season's LawnSite Member
    from Maine

yep I hear you. This is a pretty cut throat business. There must be something wrong with the owner of the parking lot to higher a drunk with a push broom. Probably just to save a couple of bucks.
  4. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

are u getting paid for this visit?
  5. taylor edmonds

taylor edmonds LawnSite Member

no he told me to load up.
  6. Davis Lawn Mowing LLC.

Davis Lawn Mowing LLC. LawnSite Member

You send him a bill for just showing up. Charge him your normal rate as if you did it that day. If you charge him $25 to blow off his parking lot, send him a bill for $25 for wasting your time. If he doesnt pay, go back late at night with some paint and make his parking spaces a little smaller than normal. That'll learn him when people come to him inquiring about the dents in there doors. :laugh: payup
  7. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Wow. I agree, that was quite a difficult run-on sentence to read. Try using some puncuation and spreading your thoughts out into more than one sentence if you want more response.

As for your situation, I know it sucks to get undercut by some scum like this. But we should all be a little happy when this kind of stuff happens. It just makes those of us who are professional look better. One day, that guy will wake up and realize how stupid he was to have hired that drunk broom sweeper and wish he had you back. He'll realize that he's already pissed you off and have to go elsewhere. But he'll learn his lesson eventually and that can only benefit those of us who do professional work.

Eventually, most people realize that you get what you pay for.