Lost One To A Highballer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PROCUT1, Aug 31, 2005.

1. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

Yep

Lost one today because we were doing a lousy job.

Guy came in $15.00 more than me.

So I decided to drive by the house... There he was.... Newer truck, nice equipment, license number on the side of the trailer.... Nice uniforms....

When he was done.... The place was immaculate......

I understand that out of 25,000 members here, Im the first one this has happened to so I figured Id let you guys know.

2. TheKingNJ

TheKingNJ LawnSite Senior Member

your mad because some one is doing a better job then you?
    I try to be higher then the average LCO in the area but I try to provide a better service. If you look at all the large LCO's in MY AREA they all are quite costly but have nice looking trucks, uniforms, and provide IMMACULATE service. I want to be one of them some day, I don't want to be some Rinky-dink LCO for ever.

3. Fubba

Fubba LawnSite Senior Member

LOL That's funny. :D

4. Lake Claire Lawn Ranger

Lake Claire Lawn Ranger LawnSite Member

Damn! I hate it when someone else does a better job and makes more money :realmad:

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

NO I been trying to tell you guys this crap to save you the headaches while ALL of you keep talking about going in cheaper and I can GUARANTEE you are not the first one, the rest of them are just TOO embarrassed to admit it.
    Not to say you should rip them off, the flipside of the coin is IF you're going to charge more then you need to be able to show it! What I see is people got shoddy equipment then you NEED to stay low but what I'm telling you is don't underball another LCO and NEVER lower your prices JUST to get a job!
    So your prices are likely right but I can also assure you that it is VERY likely when you go out and give an estimate, all a customer has to do is haggle with you and YOU LOWER the PRICE and THAT is a big NO !

... I got pride and when I say 30 dollars then 30 dollars it IS and if they don't like it then that's TOO bad because I will NOT do it for 25 even IF it means losing the job I am NOT afraid they will say no because NOW they can call YOU! See because then YOU have the problem as you run YOUR equipment in the dirt and you DON'T get paid ENOUGH to upgrade and you get skru'd while guys like me are able to buy brand-new equipment because WE got the money IN the bank. Yeah, I got TIRED of running my equipment in the dirt for these people and NOW you understand why I don't work for 9 out of 10 people and THOSE are exactly the pitas end up calling YOU! Meanwhile, the ONE time in a blue moon you run into a really NICE customer, your mindset is SET on pita low-balling crap so bad you CAN'T see the forest for the trees AND the entire problem permeats itself as you get STUCK with more and more pitas who waste ALL your time and the really GOOD customers end up with guys like me who laugh as we look at those pitas we DROPPED a year or two ago when we drive PAST their yard and see someone like YOU working there, that chit is HELLA funny as these things finally start to make sense to those who been around.

And THAT is how you get beat in this game, it's by doing the exact opposite of what you have been doing which happens to be a Noob mistake and I know this because I made that mistake too until I got real sick and tired of it all.

And why not get paid more? Hell why should you do a yard for 25 when you can do the SAME work for 30? 5 dollars extra for FREE and now you don't raise prices on your customers as the fuel goes higher and higher because YOU got ROOM to PLAY with and don't got none of the headaches everyone else constantly complains about. Sure the price of fuel sux but BIG deal, I just filled up ALL my tanks monday RIGHT as I saw prices going up all around me (literally) at 2.67/gallon for Premium 93oct. Bp, 110 dollars and ALL my tanks are full and I'm not crying over it.

6. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

Like I say, the way you egde and cut makes a big difference from average to the top. My egding I do keeps some of the lawns I have. When I go for new customers their first thought is oh a kid who has a murray hustling for some summer cash. No! But they don't know until they see my work.

7. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

how many more man hours did it take him to complete the job?

8. TheKingNJ

TheKingNJ LawnSite Senior Member

probally to him $15 worth of man hours.

9. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

Ill be honest guys.....This has happened more than once too...

10. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

sorry, i didnt know you were doing that yard. :waving:

i took one from a kid with a murray today and gettin $15 more a cut on a tiny 5 minute yard. payup payup payup